Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Best of the Best, Sir!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Although I wish for a BG more interesting than blue sky (at least there is a slight gradiant!!), this is my favorite of 2010.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ákos Lumnitzer View Post
    One of my faves for sure. This is Henry for those who missed it and I just found out three days ago that my suspicion was right about his lady having gone. A keen bird watcher lady who lives about a mile from where Henry and his mate were nesting found a dead Kestrel on the side of the road around October. :(
    However, Henry still managed to fledge two young! This is 80% of full frame and the light was very, very warm this particular morning.

30D, 300/4L + 1.4x, ISO800, f/9, 1/500th, +1 1/3EC, tripod
    I remember your series Akos. Good to see him again.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Clemens Vanderwerf View Post
    This is one of my favorites. In 2010 I got hooked on birds and gained a tremendous amount of knowledge. The stakes are high for this year. Let's see what 2011 brings!
    Thats one awesome spoonbill image Clemens. Great job. Good luck in 2011.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Roman Kurywczak View Post
    Great job Myer! Must have been an awesome trip!
    Yes it was and I am headed out the end of the month with the same boat for a 12 day trip down the BAJA following the birds and the whales. The Boat is the Searcher out of San Diego

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

As hard as it was to choose a favorite from my shots this past year, it would be even harder to choose a favorite from all those posted (and soon to be posted) in this thread.

Barred Owlet
    shot taken while precariously perched 15 feet off the ground with nowhere to steady my arms

Canon 50D, 400mm, 1.4 TC, 1/25s, f/8, ISO 400, cropped in

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

OK.....the landscape mod has to join Mike and break up the bird fest:p!
    Roman , this is simply stunner

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by James Shadle View Post
    Sid,
    That is one buttery bear. Sweet!
    Plus one here Sid ,

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    Having been privileged to photograph some fantastic and awesome animals over the past few years, photographing these guys was a real treat, especially to be within feet of a male Grizzly in excess of 1000ibs certainly raised the heart rate!!! But for me, it was the pure acceleration and power that was so explosive, eat your heart out Cheetahs. :D

Steve
    Super shot Steve

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Frost View Post
    This has been a good year for me as well. Spending time with this female wolf, listening to the howls and making some fine images of her is something I wil not forget.

Todd
    Todd , You know how much I liked this

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I guess I will have to have far better luck to get sweeter cubs than this

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Just spellbound! Spent about half an hour staring at the images.

I don't know if I can dare to put one in here... but it was really a special experience to see this kid grow up right outside my parents bedroom window...

Robert Amoruso

Lots of great images so far; and some good story telling too. Thanks to all the contributors.

As many of you know I live near Merritt Island National Wildlife Refuge so photograph there a lot. Around the holidays each year I spend a good deal of time there and usually come away with some excellent images. This one created 12-16-10 is one of those I consider my MINWR Christmas gifts. Nicely posed Lesser Yellowlegs in some fantastic looking water and mangrove reflections. I chose the wider look and did not tight crop since I like the FG/BG look so much.

Another favorite from 2010.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great shots everyone and I like the accompanying stories.

Some of my all time favorites are short of technically perfect but I have captured that moment in time that documents some of the wonderful experiences I have witnessed in nature.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    Having been privileged to photograph some fantastic and awesome animals over the past few years, photographing these guys was a real treat, especially to be within feet of a male Grizzly in excess of 1000ibs certainly raised the heart rate!!! But for me, it was the pure acceleration and power that was so explosive, eat your heart out Cheetahs. :D Steve
    The final word from Chuck, who knows all of Katmai's bears by first name and has for 27 years:

"Artie--- Yes I looked at image--- I am sure it is one of the bears in Geo that was there when we were --- good looking bear - but no 1000lber" --Chuck
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I think the Avian crowd is asleep:p.......or perhaps they don't realize there are other forums! They don't scroll down often:D!!!
    Hey Roman, this avian crowd is wide awake:) Here is my favourite of the year. This image includes nature ( hippo's) Avian ( birds perched ) and landscape. Do I win first prize:)

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Certainly not the best but definitely satisfying and a huge favorite because it was hard to do in the windy conditions. The bird was swaying in and out of the frame. Had to deal with a lot of noise in post processing too.Name:  10867241-lg.jpg
Views: 614
Size:  84.6 KB

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Well, this is a fun thread! I think it is particularly interesting to see favorites, vs. just the best image from each photographer. There is a definite distinction.

There are a few times when everything comes together, both as a photograph and experience. For this image, I had been floating around with a pair of juvi loons for several hours, and they had pretty much started ignoring me. The light was fading fast, and I had added my flash with better beamer to try and keep working for a bit longer. This particular loon had had a running feud with a damsel fly which kept landing on him. Bill, back, head. The loon wasn't too pleased with this, and kept snapping at him. As the light faded, I had a magical 10 minutes with him and the action.

I have technically better shots from 2010, but none that I like more!

Lets keep it rolling.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Stout View Post
    Well, this is a fun thread! I think it is particularly interesting to see favorites, vs. just the best image from each photographer. There is a definite distinction.

There are a few times when everything comes together, both as a photograph and experience. For this image, I had been floating around with a pair of juvi loons for several hours, and they had pretty much started ignoring me. The light was fading fast, and I had added my flash with better beamer to try and keep working for a bit longer. This particular loon had had a running feud with a damsel fly which kept landing on him. Bill, back, head. The loon wasn't too pleased with this, and kept snapping at him. As the light faded, I had a magical 10 minutes with him and the action.

I have technically better shots from 2010, but none that I like more!

Lets keep it rolling.
    This one's quite stunning Randy.

Roman Kurywczak

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Morris View Post
    The final word from Chuck, who knows all of Katmai's bears by first name and has for 27 years:

"Artie--- Yes I looked at image--- I am sure it is one of the bears in Geo that was there when we were --- good looking bear - but no 1000lber" --Chuck
    Hey Steve,
    No worries......I have to agree with Chuck and Artie......looks like only a 995lb bear!!!:(:(:(
    Last edited by Roman Kurywczak; 01-06-2011 at 07:37 PM.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I was thinking that it looked more like 924 pounds :)
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

Kirk Adams

Hey Steve,
    No worries......I have to agree with Chuck and Artie......looks like only a 995lb bear!!!:(:(:(
    But that 994.99 LB grizzly of Steve's can still eat/devour that lean Cheetah...Eh? :D

But, then, there are those mythical Silverback male Gorilla-Cheetahs in the forests of Congo that can easily eat that 994.99 LB grizzly from AK too. Even Steven !

Awesome images, everyone.
    Last edited by Kirk Adams; 01-06-2011 at 09:54 PM.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

LOL, Artie, Roman. :D:D:D:D
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Adams View Post
    But that 994.99 LB grizzly of Steve's can still eat/devour that lean Cheetah...Eh? :D

But, then, there are those mythical Silverback male Gorilla-Cheetahs in the forests of Congo that can easily eat that 994.99 LB grizzly from AK too. Even Steven !
    funny bones, eh Kirk! let them play fair...

the bear can devour the cheetah if he can catch him in a sprint from standing start

great images everyone and great fun...have to agree Steve, looks like a 995lbs bear haha :D

Stu - your image takes the cake...I dare anyone to post such a conglomorate of subjects in one image that is not "shopped"
    Morkel Erasmus

WEBSITE

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default vanity

It was a shoot made in the silent of the lake...

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Reddish Egret - 2010

This is my best 2010 shot. Taken during a wonderful workshop with Capt James. Be ready , I'll be back shortly :)

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

This is a great thread.
    I'll contribute my luckiest shot of the year ...
    A Yellow-rumped Warbler that had just leapt to grab an insect.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Killer image but the stick was killing me. Plus a slight crop from the back. Would have done more but for the signature.

SH superb. How did you focus (or did you)???

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Morris View Post
    Killer image but the stick was killing me. Plus a slight crop from the back. Would have done more but for the signature.

SH superb. How did you focus (or did you)???
    Thanks Artie.

I do like it much better without the stick. I generally would have removed it, but this is one part of a two-photo sequence, where the bird is perched on that stick (reaching for a flying insect), so I decided to leave it the second photo as well. But as a standalone photo, your version is certainly superior. The prequel is here: http://www.featherlightphoto.com/birds/e30380e1b

As for you question regarding focus ... I had focused on the perched bird, and it flew into the field of focus for me. As I said, it was my luckiest photo of the year. :)

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The highlight of my photographic year was Namiba.. 2 weeks of camping with two friends and capturing some wonderful images, one of which I will share now ....

For years I have been trying to capture an "iconic" image of an elephant ... I marveled at Nick Brandts on the cover of his first book.. "on this earth.."

this is my version

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default My favorite of 2010

Just a beginner but I thought this photo of a Eurasian Tree Sparrow I took in a city park in Hong Kong when I was there on a business trip turned out really well. Had my wife buy me AM's Art of Bird Photography and ABP II for Christmas after this encouraging start! Looking forward to learning more in 2011...

Matthew
    Last edited by Matthew Pimm; 01-12-2011 at 03:50 AM.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for the plug Matthew, and thank your wife for the purchase :)

This is quite loverly; sharp and a great pose. I'd take a strip off the top and lighten the mid-tones.

On a second look pointing the lens down a bit would have eliminated the strip at the top and possibly allowed you to include the whole flower.....

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quite a few amazing trips , I had in 2010 , but one of my favourite images has to be this mixed flock of sandpipers . They reminded me of the rush hour in our Mumbai trains .

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I love it but my standard advice for images like this is "Always focus on the front row." I think that doing that would have improved this one.... Is this correct: mostly Red Knots with plenty of Curlew Sandpipers and a plover that I am not familiar with?

What other species?

Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Just a reminder -
    Let's have some fun. No critiques, just "great shot" and "WOW".

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Me bad. But I cannot help wanting to help folks improve. And in my own defense, I do not believe that I was the first

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I loved this moment :)

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Although this photo was posted a few months back, it is my favorite of 2010 (esp since I corrected the color cast.) It was amazing to have had the privilege to witness and capture such an intimate moment.

Thank you to all those at BPN who have reviewed and critiqued my photos and helped me become a better photographer.

May our captures and experiences in the field in 2011 bring us much joy as those of 2010!

Marina

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by heathergreen View Post
    I loved this moment :)

Wow, outstanding.

I think it would be well worth the labor to remove the face blocking stems.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Marina Scarr View Post
    Although this photo was posted a few months back, it is my favorite of 2010 (esp since I corrected the color cast.) It was amazing to have had the privilege to witness and capture such an intimate moment.

Thank you to all those at BPN who have reviewed and critiqued my photos and helped me become a better photographer.

May our captures and experiences in the field in 2011 bring us much joy as those of 2010!

Marina
    Marina, thats one heck of a shot. I saw it also in the top-100 on the Audubon contest link. Congrats.

http://audubonmagazine.org/features1...ds-top100.html

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kaustubh Deshpande View Post
    Marina, thats one heck of a shot. I saw it also in the top-100 on the Audubon contest link. Congrats.
    Thank you very much Kaustubh. I was lucky just to have witnessed these SHC with their young.

Ákos Lumnitzer

Hi Marina
    Congrats, big congrats on the Audubon top 100 selection. The image of the crane and its chick is one of the most memorable images I have ever seen on any forum. Period. Big kudos to you and keep up the great work. :)

LeeFortier

Default Feeding Robin

My first post here. Had difficulty reducing the image to fit forum criteria. Hope to improve as time goes by.

This is one of my favorites from the past year. It won the statewide 2010 Grand Prize in the Massachusetts Audubon "Picture This" My Connection to Nature Photo Contest.
    It was a real surprise to me.
    This was shot through my double pane front window during a snowstorm. The Robins return daily to dine on ornamental pears until the tree is tripped bare. Then you won't see them again till Spring.

Hope you enjoy it. Any critique is always welcome.

Name:  Feeding-Robin-BPN-.jpg
Views: 266
Size:  107.3 KB

Lee
    www.leefortier.com

LeeFortier

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Zamek View Post
    This is a great thread.
    I'll contribute my luckiest shot of the year ...
    A Yellow-rumped Warbler that had just leapt to grab an insect.
    With or without the stick, this is just a great image.
    Thanks for sharing.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

some more amazing posts here...I especially liked the double heron shot, Luca, and of course Peter's Etosha Ghost elephant :)
    Morkel Erasmus

WEBSITE

Threads
    Thank You Posts

OK, I'll play ! :)

While photographing barn swallows one June evening in Bucks County, Pennsylvania,, a young foxy lady came by and visited. After scoping me out for a minute or so, she sauntered away, sat down, and scanned the fields, presumably for prey.

Here she is in those golden moments before sunset.
    Bill Jobes

www.billjobes.com

My BPN Gallery

Walk Softly and Carry a Big Lens

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Some awesome images, great stuff. Defiantly one of my favourites for 2010 I made last year in the Kruger National park.
    Chris Kotze

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

So many great pictures I am reluctant to post anything. But here we go a moment that I will not forget for a long time was when on a clear crisp chilly morning I saw a speck of white objects materialize in the horizon approaching my position slowly and turn to be a few American White Pelicans.

Name:  Merritt-Island-1.2011-572-Edit.jpg
Views: 200
Size:  155.3 KB

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Myer Bornstein View Post
    One of my favorites was this photo of my first Albatross taken of a 3 day pelagic trip from San Diego
    Sweet Light!

Van Hilliard

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Cadieux View Post
    Although I wish for a BG more interesting than blue sky (at least there is a slight gradiant!!), this is my favorite of 2010.
    Daniel,
    I really like it and I wouldn't change that blue sky. It isolates the bird beautifully and really allows those gradients in the whites to glow.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

All I can say is FANTASTIC images. WOW!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12