Thread: Circle B - Booming with All Types of Activity Right Now

Michael Pancier

Default Circle B - Booming with All Types of Activity Right Now

Just got back from Circle B Bar Reserve in Lakeland, and it's really happening right now.

The white pelicans are back in mass at Lake Hancock and fly around the clock like a Monday morning at Laguardia.

Arrive around sunrise and work the marsh hare pond area then take the trail to the pelicans with the sun at your back.

Besides the white pelican show; plenty of spoonies in the ponds and in flight; lots of sandhill cranes; limpkins; migratory ducks (shovelers; and blue and green wing teals); whistling ducks all over as well.

Some bald eagle flybys possible (though I only saw one in the nest; the flybys were recorded the day before I arrived). Painted Buntings reported; as well as a plethora of warblers, phoebes, cardinals; gnat catchers; anhinga; wood storks all over; and of course plenty of red shoulder hawks around.

I saw, but did not get shot of 3 river otters along the banks of the main trail which was sweet.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for the update Mike. Will be there tomorrow.

-Sid

Brian Grant

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Pancier View Post
    Just got back from Circle B Bar Reserve in Lakeland, and it's really happening right now.
    That's for sure. I was there Saturday at dawn and things were really great for the entire morning.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Circle B Bar Reserve

I have a note on this with some images on my blog, www.naturesportal.blogspot.com . I will definitely return!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I am not familiar with the area but wonder if someone who is can download this image, mark up the best morning spots, and then reupload. Thanks in advance.

Name:  CM-Capture-1.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  184.9 KB

Brian Grant

Quote Originally Posted by allanrube View Post
    I am not familiar with the area but wonder if someone who is can download this image, mark up the best morning spots, and then reupload. Thanks in advance.

Name:  CM-Capture-1.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  184.9 KB
    I'm not sure of copyrights, etc on that image so, I will describe where you want to go. While in your car, you will enter at the blue dot at the top. Shortly after entering, you will see a closed road with a chain across it. This is Windmill Whisper. Just after that you will see a sort of picnic pavilion and a few parking spaces. Park there and walk down Windmill Whisper to the actual windmill which is at the junction with Wading Bird Way. Turn left on Wading Bird Way. That stretch is the best for morning shooting. As you walk along you will hit the marshy area on the right which will have plenty of wading birds and ducks. Beyond them you will see the White Pelicans. They beginning taking off at dawn and will be flying into the rising sun. That will keep you busy for the morning.

Michael Pancier

Default Here's a trail map from the website

Depending on how early you arrive; if at dawn, then you may want to walk the otter, heron, marsh rabbit trails; good chances for otters; bob cats and wading birds and ducks. The sun will be at your back so you'll have flight ops from different perspective. if you work your way to wading bird way at the lake, along that narrow stretch, again, you'll have photo ops of perched birds of all sizes in the immediate area as well as along the marsh on your left and the prairie on your right until you reach the large lake.

It's always a crap shoot what you'll find there.
    Last edited by Michael Pancier; 01-11-2011 at 06:05 PM.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Was there the morning of Saturday 1/14 and still lots of action: White Pelicans, Green-winged Teal, Black-bellied Whistling Ducks, Northern Shovelers, Limpkins, Sandhill Cranes, plus the usual Florida wading birds. I was surprised to see the whistling ducks in Florida. There are hundreds of them at Circle Bar B. This one posed nicely.

EDIT: Found this regarding BBWD expansion into Florida.

Date/Time Original : 2011:01:15 08:06:10
    Camera Model Name : NIKON D300
    Lens ID : AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D IF-ED + TC1.4
    Shutter Speed : 1/60
    Aperture : 5.6
    ISO : 200
    White Balance : Preset0
    Focal Length : 420.0 mm (35 mm equivalent: 630.0 mm)
    Focus Distance : 14.96 m
    Depth Of Field : 0.28 m (14.83 - 15.10)
    Auto Focus : On
    Focus Mode : AF-C
    Shooting Mode : Continuous, Auto ISO
    AF Area Mode : Dynamic Area (21 points)
    Exposure Program : Aperture-priority AE
    Exposure Compensation : 0
    Exposure Mode : Auto
    Flash Source : SB700
    Flash Mode : Fired, External
    Flash Exposure Compensation : 0
    Quality : RAW
    Color Space : Adobe RGB
    Last edited by David Gancarz; 01-15-2011 at 04:56 PM.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I was there Friday morning and saw (in addition to what David mentions above) several bald eagles (including one immature one), a Cooper's hawk, a few bittern, a sora and roseatte spoonbills.