Thread: Gloves???

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Gloves???

Good Morning All, I have a last minute trip to Michigan in two weeks and i'm wondering from a photography point of view, what gloves do you folks recc'd i purchase, as it's quite cold. I'm thinking to wear a thinner one that i use here in florida, and then buy one size bigger to slip over those, thus be able to remove them when needed, yet have some "slight protection.
    Thks for sharing your successful brands, and models
    Cheers Don

BPN Viewer
    Thank You Posts

Default Cold Weather Gloves

I do Eagle photography at LD 14 in Le Claire, IA and cold weather is always a problem for fingers. Have been using Guide Series Thinsulate mittens with flip open ends with cut off fingers inside. Put hand warmer packs in the end of each mitten.
    Just got a pair of Glacier Glove Ice Bay neoprene gloves for christmas. They are like a wet suit and used for cold weather fishing but think they will also be good for photography.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thks so much, do you have a model number or is that all i need from your text.. thks don

Sponsor Moderator Chris Klapheke's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hey Don--

You might check out the AquaTech Sensory Gloves. They have been a big hit with customers.

They are middleweight, windstopper and have small holes in the thumb and forefinger to push your digits through for operation of your camera or smart phone. Quicker and more convenient than the gloves with "pull-off" fingers.

For long periods of really cold weather, you might want the liner you wrote about.

Here is a link: AquaTech

BPN Viewer
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Don Hamilton Jr. View Post
    Thks so much, do you have a model number or is that all i need from your text.. thks don
    The mittens were from Gander Mountain. These are similiar
    http://www.gandermountain.com/modper...n&merchID=4005

"Ice Bay" is the model of the Glacier Glove. http://www.glacieroutdoor.com

Threads
    Thank You Posts

The AT gloves are well made, but not up to the task of keeping fingers warm in fairly cold (20F) weather by themselves.

Manzella Cascade glove mitts work well with a liner. Get one size larger to accommodate the liners.

Chas

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Don:

I live in Michigan, was out today, yes can be a bit nippy.
    I started a thread several years ago, might be worth looking at it for some additional ideas.

http://www.birdphotographers.net/for...er-photography

I have tried about a dozen different combinations. In the really cold weather, am wearing glomits, generic name for the mittens that flip open over the fingers to allow fingertip access for controls. Mine are from Gander Mountain. I usually use a handwarmer in each top. They are pretty good for warmth, a bit thick to use closed, generally just flip open the top to expose fingers when actually shooting.

I am looking for a slightly thinner pair, without so much bulk in the palm.

I used fleece gloves when the weather is warmer, say into the 30s. They are thin enough that I can control the camera buttons pretty well.

It is very hand to have a handwarmer pouch that slips around your waist, and put your hands in there when not taking pictures, I will leave an extra handwarmer packet in there as well.

Part of the secret is to keep your core very warm, and your hands will do much better. I can go for short periods without any gloves because I keep my core warm.

Don't forget about the boots. The feet are what usually do you in, before the hands. Standing on ice or snow for prolonged periods of time, without much movement, requires a very substantial boot. You want a very thick sole to get your foot up away from the ground, lots of insulation, and good socks, such as smartwool models.

These boots will be heavy, awkward, and hard to drive with, but if you are going to be out for a while, that is what it takes for most folks. I carry a separate pair of light slip on boots that I put on to drive to and from the shooting site.

Randy
    Last edited by Randy Stout; 12-27-2010 at 02:08 PM.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Don,

I have used many different brands of gloves and mittons and found that there is no single handware that fits all occassions and shooting conditions. However, my favorite general purpose gloves that get the most use are the Aquatech gloves mentioned by Chris Klapheke. In fact, I purchased my pair from Chris at Outdoorphotogear.com (shameless plug) and have been extremely pleased with them.

The gloves were made for photographers with a small hole over the pad of the index finger and the pad of your thumb. I often will stick my index finger through the hole, for short periods of time. The gloves keep my hands and fingers warm down to 25 - 30 degrees farenheit. They are lightweight and allow for good dexterity. I have also used them in colder temps, though I have to keep my hands in my pockets between shooting. As they are thin, it makes them easy to get in and out of my pockets (or muffler: worn around my waist).

Best of luck to you with your search. Perhaps you can give us a follow up post to let us all know what you finally decided on and how they have worked out for you.

Cheers,

Dave Israel

Good Morning All, I have a last minute trip to Michigan in two weeks and i'm wondering from a photography point of view, what gloves do you folks recc'd i purchase, as it's quite cold. I'm thinking to wear a thinner one that i use here in florida, and then buy one size bigger to slip over those, thus be able to remove them when needed, yet have some "slight protection.
    Cheers Don

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Cheers Don
    I've been using the following combo from REI now multiple times at Bosque, in Hokkaido (Japan) and just this week in Germany at sub-freezing temperatures (down to 10 - 15 F) and couldn't be happier. Hands are plenty toasty. Just wish that the glove mitt would be available in XXL to make it a bit easier to put them over the liner gloves.

Good luck. JR

http://www.rei.com/product/803861 (note, the reviews mention a magnet to hold back the flap. Mine have a velcro strip.)
    http://www.rei.com/product/801666

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Being in the golf business these are the gloves I use.

Footjoy wintersof gloves.
    http://www.footjoy.com/catalog/productview.asp?c=46

I have an older pair but I'm sure these are just as good. They come out with a new version every year and they all seem close to the previous years. I'm in Cincinnati and use them in temps in the 20's. They won't keep your hands dry in wet weather but are pretty warm. I like that they put leather in the palm and on the fingers. That helps hold onto the camera and use the buttons easier.

You can pick them up in most any local golf shop or golf galaxy .com.

Bob