Thread: Northern Flicker

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Northern Flicker

Attached Images Attached Images

Northern Flicker - May 29, 2010

Ultra low angle and natural light. Reduced noise in the background.

Canon EOS 7D
    Canon EF 100-400 mm f/4.5-5.6 L IS

1/640
    f/6.3
    400 mm
    ISO 400
    +1/3 EV

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the low angle and with the tight close-up I am fine with the framing. EXP and SH good. And a good head angle for this pose.

Is that a tick on its head? Where? And how did you get so close?
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Morris View Post
    I like the low angle and with the tight close-up I am fine with the framing. EXP and SH good. And a good head angle for this pose.

Is that a tick on its head? Where? And how did you get so close?

Thanks Artie!

It's a red ant on its head. It was repeatedly landing at the same spot and digging for ants, so I positioned myself at that spot on my stomach in the grass. When it landed again I slid up towards it insanely slowly, and for 10 minutes it fed between 5 and 10 feet away. I've been birding since I was 5 and that was the closest I've ever been to a Northern Flicker...it was so cool. I have other shots with ants all over its beak.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for the great story Ryan. You are lucky that you did not wind up with red ants in your pants! New Jersey I assume? There are lots of this species on the golf course here in Holbrook by my Mom's house where I walk everyday.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Wow Ryan, that is insanely close and its not a common perspective on a Northern Flicker. Looks well exposed and well processed. Nicely done.

Rohan Kamath

Very nicely done to get so close. Your birding experience shows.
    As for the image, I just love these low angle shots. The reflection of the horizon in the eye makes it even more interesting.

Oh and a very lovely species btw. Is it in some way related to woodpeckers?? Sort of looks like one.

-Regards,
    Rohan
    __________________________________________________ _
    Conservation begins at HOME... We CAN make a difference...

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I quite like the fact that everything is so soft except for the bird. The bird has such beautiful markings and colour.
    Excellent lighting/exposure.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Amazing you could get that close. Guess that comes with experience. The ant makes a great detail and the grass adds a good contrast to the bird. nicely done.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for the great story Ryan. You are lucky that you did not wind up with red ants in your pants! New Jersey I assume? There are lots of this species on the golf course here in Holbrook by my Mom's house where I walk everyday.
    This was actually in Boston, Massachusetts. They breed in my local patch, so I've come to know them really well. Unfortunately photographing their nest cavities (there are 4-7 nests a year in the park) would be impossible as they are usually seriously high up.

- Ryan

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Ryan:

A very unique flicker image because of the setting/shooting angle.
    The techs are fine, isolation,framing, all good. It would be interesting to see one of the frames with more ants on the bill, as that would further tell the story about what he is doing.

Well done.

Randy

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Ryan. What month?

Michael Bertelsen

Great image Ryan,
    Very sharp, I think I can see your reflection in the ant's eyes. :)

Cheers,

Michael

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I appreciate the ultra-low angle and the extraordinary sharpness of the flicker's head. You offer us a study of the large, powerful bill of the Picidae.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Ryan. What month?
    This was in May of 2009. They usually arrive on territory in April. Usually when I'm submitting my checklist for the day into eBird, I have a count of anywhere from 2-5 of them from April to September, with a few lingering until November, and none again until March.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks. That makes sense.

Nate Chappell

Great low angle and shot Ryan, I've managed to get head shots of this species with the same crawl up technique that you did - although I was shooting with the 500mm. :cool: