Thread: Green River Overlook

Roman Kurywczak

Default Green River Overlook

Attached Images Attached Images

This was from my just completed trip to Arches/Canyonlands. The clouds were pretty impressive on this trip out......so spent the days chasing them. The green river overlook is in the Island in the Sky district of Canyonlands NP.
    Canonn 1D Mark lll with the 17-40mm lens at 25mm for 0.6 seconds at f22 and ISO 100. All tripod mounted and the Singh Ray 3 stop Grad ND filter and the Reverse Grad ND filter stacked.....HH in front of lens. Saved at 67 quality.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Extraordinary! I usually hang out on OOTB and Avian, but Santa brought me a wide angle lens (I couldn't wait!) and so I have lots to learn here.

Robert Amoruso

This is a beautiful image Roman. I especially like the layering with the different colors and the motion blur of the clouds.

Landscapes Moderator Andrew McLachlan's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hey Roman, nice shot, love the clouds, well done!

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Roman, I agree about the motion blur adding an appealing softness to the sky. The different hues of purple and blue in the sky makes for a nice contrast with the rusty brown of the terrain. Nicely composed....

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Roman, I think it is really cool and agree with all comments.

I think it needs a degree of CCW! If you put a straight edge, I always use a notepad edge, on the center peak objectively is leaning slight to the right.

The whole image simply has the itsy bitsy lean to me.

??
    Cheers, Jay

My Digital Art - "Nature Interpreted" - can now be view at http://www.luvntravlnphotography.com

"Nature Interpreted" - Photography begins with your mind and eyes, and ends with an image representing your vision and your reality of the captured scene; photography exceeds the camera sensor's limitations. Capturing and Processing landscapes and seascapes allows me to express my vision and reality of Nature.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Roman,

Love it..............great colors, lighting and mood to it. I really like how you placed the river gorge to the right in the frame..................

Forum Participant
    Maryland's Eastern Shore, beside Fairlee Creek near the Chesapeake Bay
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Roman.

This is an impressive image. But what I like most is the placement of the canyon in the composition, and the way that the colors and the sharpness of the canyon and the other foreground elements contrast with the soft, cool clouds.

If the image were mine, I might cautiously try to brighten the warmer tones of the canyon/foreground a bit, thereby enhancing the contrast with the clouds. If you could make those elements glow a little, I think that the result might be even more impressive.

I've attached a repost image, in which I selected the elements I've mentioned and applied modest warmth and brightness adjustments using Viveza 2, to show you what I mean.
    In any event, I like your op.

Norm
    Last edited by Norm Dulak; 12-22-2010 at 04:23 PM.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Roman this is just pure eye candy! love the layers, scale and sense of isolation here...and awesome drama in the sky.

Norm's repost has actually improved it IMHO :)
    Morkel Erasmus

WEBSITE

Roman Kurywczak

Thanks All! It may noit have been that vivid Norm.....but I am definitely going in that direction for print!!!
    Thanks again!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

-1.21 Rotation in LR3.

Do you see/feel a difference or am I nuts?

I do!

Interesting how my RP removed the vividness of the color.
    Cheers, Jay

My Digital Art - "Nature Interpreted" - can now be view at http://www.luvntravlnphotography.com

"Nature Interpreted" - Photography begins with your mind and eyes, and ends with an image representing your vision and your reality of the captured scene; photography exceeds the camera sensor's limitations. Capturing and Processing landscapes and seascapes allows me to express my vision and reality of Nature.

Roman Kurywczak

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Gould View Post
    -1.21 Rotation in LR3.

Do you see/feel a difference or am I nuts?

I do!

Interesting how my RP removed the vividness of the color.
    Not sure Jay! :p I had the bubble level in the hotshoe.....but I will look at it on a bigger monitor (i'm in Florida) tomorrow. The more times it gets saved and compressed....the more the colors do strange things!
    In any case.....nuts or not.....thanks for the feedback!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Level by the bubble; still doesn't feel right!

That raises an interesting question; perhaps for a thread all by itsellf - up to you Mr. Moderator.

If an image is technically level AND at the same time it looks better with a different level, do you change it?

Same question raised with Bob's image: http://www.birdphotographers.net/for...eek-Road-MINWR

???
    Cheers, Jay

Roman Kurywczak

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Gould View Post
    Level by the bubble; still doesn't feel right!

That raises an interesting question; perhaps for a thread all by itsellf - up to you Mr. Moderator.

If an image is technically level AND at the same time it looks better with a different level, do you change it?

Same question raised with Bob's image: http://www.birdphotographers.net/for...eek-Road-MINWR

???
    Yes, I would probably change it.....but remember that everyone has a different take on that......very similar to colors or boldness. Walk into most galleries and the colors are usually like Norms repost.....which I happen to like! Some will walk in and say over saturated.....but who cares? the person buying and if they like it.....who cares?:D Some people don't mind when you severly tilt a horizon......I on the other hand often do......but I will still judge the image first...then get into the small stuff. This one may fall into the who cares realm.....but it is always good to point it out because they may have overlooked it and is always just a suggestion! Have a great day mate (learned that from you) and feel free to start the thread in general. You may want me to announce it here when you do!
    Last edited by Roman Kurywczak; 12-25-2010 at 02:15 PM.

Forum Participant
    Maryland's Eastern Shore, beside Fairlee Creek near the Chesapeake Bay
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Roman Kurywczak View Post
    Thanks All! It may noit have been that vivid Norm.....but I am definitely going in that direction for print!!!
    Thanks again!
    Thanks Roman.

There definitely is a tension between original images as we perceived them, and actions that could later be taken to make an image "better", to make it "pop"!

If you do decide to make an adjustment to the foreground and canyon, I am certain that you will use your considerable expertise to avoid going too far. :)

As for remarks that have been made concerning the horizon in this and the other thread mentioned above, I personally don't get too lathered up about it. In that regard, I see no problem with your op! The horizon looks fine to me.

Congratulations on another excellent image!

Norm
    Last edited by Norm Dulak; 12-24-2010 at 11:27 AM.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I have started a thread in the General Photography Forum about leveling: http://www.birdphotographers.net/for...e-a-difference
    Cheers, Jay

Banned
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Roman,
    I agree with jay, The image needs rotation. I have many images from this area and I have worked in this area mapping, and the layers are quite horizontal, including the distant buttes. The rise on the left is, as you know, the flanks of distant Abajo mountains, so one would expect that portion of the image to be rising. But the layers in the canyons are quite horizontal in this view (as opposed to those at Green River Overlook, where the layers are curved from a giant salt dome deep down).

So I agree with Jay rotation, and I like Norm's rework. Combine the two are a nice image, although I find it a little flat. due to the cloudy day.

Roger

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

this is a really superb combination of everything that a open landscape of what i consider when reading about the usa !! Supoerb. Rotation is something that does look out from left to right :p

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Roman,

Fabulous image!

I hate to be the only one to say this, but the colors in the clouds are wiggin' me out. The accurate and natural colors of the earth are great, but the variety of colors across the sky (clouds only, not that sweet blue at the horizon) don't seem right. Try desaturating the clouds a bit or simply remove some of the violet tint? Still, I love the scene.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The GND kind of clipped the mesa top and darkened it Roman. It has GND-itus

I need to go back and look at my shots from this area (multiple visits) but I'm almost sure there were no clouds. What the heck? Do you carry around "cloud in a can"? Or maybe a Native American Shaman to conjur clouds? Come on... fess up... Happy New Year Roman

Roman Kurywczak

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Lloyd View Post
    The GND kind of clipped the mesa top and darkened it Roman. It has GND-itus

I need to go back and look at my shots from this area (multiple visits) but I'm almost sure there were no clouds. What the heck? Do you carry around "cloud in a can"? Or maybe a Native American Shaman to conjur clouds? Come on... fess up... Happy New Year Roman
    It was weird light for sure Michael!!! Yhat darker band was there.....and driving me nuts!!!......as for the cloud in a can or Native American Shaman.....more like this:
    http://www.sportpost.com/video/view/...+copied+in+NFL