Thread: Canon 60D a good upgrade from a 40D ?

Hybrid View

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Canon 60D a good upgrade from a 40D ?

I just sold my old 20D, and I have a canon 40D too (the old 20D was a backup of the 40D).

My plan is to buy a canon 60D and leave the 40D has a backup camera. I know the rate of fps of the 60D is a little less then the 40D, so I was wondering how this two cameras compare. I know too that ones uses CF cards and the other SDs (I hate when canon does this), that is not a big problem, but it will make me to buy a few SDs.

I know that the 7D is a lot better, but is a lot more expensive too. A 50D is not in my plans because I think it is not a good upgrade from a 40D.

Or my last option is to buy another 40D used in the market and stay with the two 40D for a few more time.:o

Opinions needed here. Thanks.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Paulo, as someone who owned two 30Ds, two 40Ds, two 50Ds and two 7Ds, here is my opinion. The 60D will be an upgrade to the 40D only if you need extra cropping ability, or larger prints, and video, and a brighter, clearer rear screen. Other than that the autofocus is the same, and the 60D will be a camera that is more demanding of perfect camera technique in order to get very sharp images, much more so than the 40D. I kept my two 40Ds for twice as long as any of my XXD cameras.
    For sure there will be lots of other opinions out there
    Cheers
    Grant

Flavio Rose

What I like most about my 7D are the megapixels and LCD screen. The 60D has those.

However, going out on an enormous limb, let me say the following. As you may have read, the 60D has significantly inferior noise performance to the most recent crop sensor offerings from Nikon, Sony, and Pentax. So do all earlier crop sensor DSLRs from any maker. Hopefully Canon will catch up, and when it does you will want to buy the camera they sell that catches up, so I would vote for a 40D as an interim solution.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

The 60D is a Rebel with a fancy name tag. Best to bite the bullet and get a 7D or even a 50D (or consider keeping the 40D)....
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

If a new 7D is out of your reach currently you might consider Canon's Loyalty Program (google it) here in the US to get a refurbished - if you can live with that - 7D at a significantly reduced price as a trade-in for your 40D.

JR

Threads
    Thank You Posts

7D hands down!
    Cheers, Jay

My Digital Art - "Nature Interpreted" - can now be view at http://www.luvntravlnphotography.com

"Nature Interpreted" - Photography begins with your mind and eyes, and ends with an image representing your vision and your reality of the captured scene; photography exceeds the camera sensor's limitations. Capturing and Processing landscapes and seascapes allows me to express my vision and reality of Nature.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi, from 40D to 60D is not an upgrade in all the departments. You get some features and you lose some. Based on what you intend to do with them, you will have to decide whether it is worth it. We had a thread earlier on this in which specific pros and cons were discussed:

http://www.birdphotographers.net/for...nfo-Needed-%29