Thread: Long-Tailed Sylph, Mindo Loma, Ecuador

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Long-Tailed Sylph, Mindo Loma, Ecuador

Attached Images Attached Images

Birds initially attracted to a Hb feeder then local flowers arranged by feeder with a few drops of sugar water added.
    Camera - Canon 1D Mk111, lens Canon 100-400L. Exp. H speed multi flash - 4 x 580 EX11 on bird and 1 lighting artificial BG. Flash duration approx. 1/18000 sec @ f25

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Well you've gotta be happy with that! Wow, what a pose, colors, dof and all that. Superb!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Top class image, the detail and BG are superb with great flash work

Threads
    Thank You Posts

A well balanced comp, and just love the iridescence on the bird. Sharp, and I agree to some NR on the BG.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Wow, what a show-stopper! Irridescence is spectacular; terrific composition, BG and wing position. The high-res version must be such eye candy. I'd be proud to hang this on my wall. Cheers.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great capture! The colors are amazing.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

super technicals, composition and 3D pop here...love it
    Morkel Erasmus

WEBSITE | JOIN ME ON SAFARI

Threads
    Thank You Posts

The area where the bird was photographed was fairly dark and overgrown - rainforest!. The lighting was an attempt to duplicate this effect. Can anyone let me know what the flower is? There were several trees with these flowers in the area. I have since run NR on the BG, thanks for your comments.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Melvin Grey View Post
    Birds initially attracted to a Hb feeder then local flowers arranged by feeder with a few drops of sugar water added.
    Camera - Canon 1D Mk111, lens Canon 100-400L. Exp. H speed multi flash - 4 x 580 EX11 on bird and 1 lighting artificial BG. Flash duration approx. 1/18000 sec @ f25
    Melvin
    Very well done - - the leaves in the URC help add a 3D effect .
    Did you setup near the tree or position a flower near a feeder at your multiflash setup?
    The Long Tailed Sylph is a favorite of many at Guango - - did you get any photo's of the Swordbilled HB?

The flower is an Abutilon Pictum
    Cheers
    Peter
    Last edited by Peter Hawrylyshyn; 12-19-2010 at 02:52 PM.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love the wing position, the colors, that tail, and the native (?) flower. If you put a Santa hat on the bird it would make a great holiday card!
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The image of course is fantastic. Sharpness, iridescence, composition, pose, the red bloom to complement the dominant greens and blue, the head angle, pop against the background. But somehow... it looks to me a bit too perfect. Like as if a model bird was suspended - no, I am not at all suggesting that you did this. Just trying to explain my hesitation(?) after the initial WOW...

Anyway, great effort well rewarded. JR

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Joerg Rockenberger View Post
    The image of course is fantastic. Sharpness, iridescence, composition, pose, the red bloom to complement the dominant greens and blue, the head angle, pop against the background. But somehow... it looks to me a bit too perfect. Like as if a model bird was suspended - no, I am not at all suggesting that you did this. Just trying to explain my hesitation(?) after the initial WOW...

Anyway, great effort well rewarded. JR
    Oh, there were plenty of others, Joerg, with not so perfect wing positions or different angles on the bird/tail - lets face it, with wings beating 100 times per sec. a good position in the photograph is pure LUCK! The percentage of real 'keepers' is very small, particularly if there are other elements in the image - just as well we now have digital and don't have to worry about film costs.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Hawrylyshyn View Post
    Melvin
    Very well done - - the leaves in the URC help add a 3D effect .
    Did you setup near the tree or position a flower near a feeder at your multiflash setup?
    The Long Tailed Sylph is a favorite of many at Guango - - did you get any photo's of the Swordbilled HB?

The flower is an Abutilon Pictum
    Cheers
    Peter
    Peter, The flower and leaves were set up near the feeder. Unfortunately I never saw a Swordbilled Hb - win some, lose some! Thanks for the flower info.
    I look forward to possibly meeting you,
    Melvin

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi, Melvin. I second Peter's ID on the flower. It's in the Malvaceae (Hibiscus) family. I don't believe it's native to Ecuador but has been naturalized throughout tropical America so it's something that any hummingbird could plausibly encounter and visit in its daily life.

This flower is a tough one to compose with but the addition of the leaves does help some.

I do love the lighting -- just perfect as you mentioned for the habitat. It's a good example of playing around with the lighting scheme to get what you want for a particular image. The BG works very well too.

Cheers,
    Greg Basco

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

One of the best flight shots of small birds i have ever seen . Perfect Bg and sharpness/focus on the bird .