1/2000
    f/6.3
    400 mm
    ISO 800
    +1/3 EV

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Ryan:

Good pose for your creeper, like the rear foot in profile against the sky.
    The light angle has thrown him into shadow below. The exposure above looks good.
    To my eye, the bird is a bit soft.

To my mind the large dark trunk on the left , although blurred, is still pretty distracting. I might be tempted to crop it out, and add back in some canvas if you want more room for him to look into.

You could also consider a minor crop from the right to diminish the massive perch. That is less of a concern than the trunk on left, IMHO.

Cheers

Randy

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

I on the other hand are more concerned with the big trunk on the right in part because it is more in focus. Thus my suggested crop. I like the pose and the head angle but as Randy noted, the sharpness is just not there.

Was this already a large crop? There are some image quality issues especially with the BKGR that looks blotchy....
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

And here it is with the lit areas sharpened with a contrast mask and the shaded areas lighted via Tim Grey Dodge and Burn.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

Peter Farrell

I agree with Arthur on the in focus trunk being the distraction. His final version is a big improvement.
    A nice pose on the bird. The creepers around here never seem to stay still long enought to capture an image! Good work.
    Peter

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Yes Peter, this species is a most difficult species as they almost never stop moving. Ryan is likely out trying to get some more creeper images :)