Thread: Georgia Straight

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Georgia Straight

Attached Images Attached Images

I don't often post here, but trying to expand my horizons so to speak.

I took this the other evening after the sun had set.

50D, 70/200, 1/13, f/9, ISO 400.

Dave

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Dave, Interesting image with just the right amount of silhouetted foreground. Nice strip of water with appealing mountains and clouds in the backround. This would look alot stronger as a pano so I would crop out about 60% 0f the sky. Good effort!!

Roman Kurywczak

Hey Dave,
    I'm with Dave Mills on the pano......mostly because those clouds aren't that strong and it emphasizes the mountains even more. I would also try bringing up the tonal range in the MG....from the horizon to the top of the clouds.....more depth there will also help bring this up a notch. Finally.....I think you could get away with a bit of a boost in the saturation.....although that one is highly subjective.....so not necessary.....but just something to explore. Those small tweaks will take this image up a few notches.....so try them out and let us know how it works for you!

Landscapes Moderator Andrew McLachlan's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Dave,

I agree with Dave and Roman on this one. Making it a pano will really bring attention to the mountains and clouds. I might be tempted to add a touch of contrast to the clouds and mountains also.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Repost

Attached Images Attached Images

Here's the repost.

Thanks for the comments and suggestions.

Perhaps it needs a bit more density but an improvement.

Dave

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like it Dave!!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Ahh. That's good and thanks for the second look Dave.

Robert Amoruso

Dave, Pano presentation is a good choice here and does strengthen the mountain. However, I still like the OP expansive sky. A very different feeling in both images. The OP to me is serene and the Pano says grandeour. I do like the contrast changes. Nice work.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Robert.

In hindsight, I think one of the things the phto lacks is clarity and I have to work on that.

The nearest island is about 5 or 6 miles away and the farthest about 15 or 20.

The air is quite humid and some of the humidity can be seen between the islands. I think the humidity sucks a lot of the detail out of the photo.

Even when a person looks at the actual scene what one sees are very soft pastels and shapes. And for me right now they are much easier to see than to photograph and present.

Dave

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Definitely a vote for the pano RP. I also like the change in the presentation of the mid ground with the lighter mountains. I like it! Even though I am not a pastel guy, this is very soft and appealing.
    Cheers, Jay

My Digital Art - "Nature Interpreted" - can now be view at http://www.luvntravlnphotography.com

"Nature Interpreted" - Photography begins with your mind and eyes, and ends with an image representing your vision and your reality of the captured scene; photography exceeds the camera sensor's limitations. Capturing and Processing landscapes and seascapes allows me to express my vision and reality of Nature.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The repost really popped out to me. The detail I see there I never noticed in the original. Better comp. Great work!