Thread: Bavarian Forest National Park

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Bavarian Forest National Park

I'll be in Germany over the holidays and plan on spending some days in the Bavarian Forest National Park. They have some wildlife refuges and I was wondering what lenses to bring, e.g. for the wolves. Has anyone taken photographs there and can make recommendations? Also, any other information is appreciated. Best, JR

http://www.nationalpark-bayerischer-...gang/index.htm

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

So, I just returned and thought to provide a brief summary here in case someone else is interested in going to that area. Overall, I thought it was a very positive experience as the wildlife parks had no/little zoo-like feeling as I was concerned about. The enclosures are fairly large and with natural and varied terrain giving plenty of opportunities for seemingly natural photographs and very rarely do any artificial objects in the background interfere. What's great is that you can shoot from elevated platforms or trails (no fences obstructing your view) with at least part of the terrain in the enclosure ascending from your position. In other words, you can take pictures with the object being close to eye level most of the time.

That brings with it though that long lenses are beneficial. I'd say 400 is probably the shortest one can get away with. I used the 500 often in conjunction with a 1.4TC on a Canon 1DMkIV and had a 70-200F4 on a 40D for group shots or closeups.

I've explored both wildlife parks, Falkenstein and Lusen but focused on getting shots of lynx and wolves in both and ignored the other wildlife they have. For wolves both parks provide similar photographic opportunities while I thought the park in Falkenstein was much better for the lynx, mostly because the latter had a family of four which provided more opportunities.

Overall, definitely worthwhile if you're in Southern Germany. Best, Joerg

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks a lot for the information Joerg. I have put Bavaria on my to do list. Also particularly interested in the lynxes and the wolves. But not sure if my wife will want to visit in winter !

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Phil,

great that you're considering visiting these places and that you find this information helpful. I completely can understand your wife's point about not wanting to travel to Germany in winter - though it was absolutely beautiful this year with all the snow and cold they had over the holidays.

But there are certain advantages of going in winter to photograph especially the wolves at this location. The reason is that the setup is such that you're effectively photographing into a forest. Outside of winter I can imagine that photography might a bit more challenging as it will be darker in there as if snow is on the ground. Also, the snow makes the animals nicely stand out against the background and hence easier to find as if there is a lot foliage. Still, I have seen great images taken at this location in the summer.

Note also, that coming from Africa these wildlife parks may still feel rather zoo-like to you. They are in no way comparable to game preserves you may be used to. Just keep this in mind.

Feel free to contact me with questions once you're getting closer to plan your trip to Germany.

Best, JR

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for the additional comments Joerg. I will eventually be moving to Portugal where the winters are not so cold. But as a Brit I am quite happy to be out in snow, as long as the roads are not difficult and the walking is not a problem. Judging from the map of the park you went to the lynx and wolves are not too far from a car park. It would be great to get pictures in the snow - the animals' heavy coats look great with a snowy background.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Phil,

at Falkenstein the Lynx and Wolf enclosures are indeed quite close to the car park. Though it's a bit of a climb... At the other park, Lusen, the wolf enclosure though is quite far away from the parking lot - especially if you follow the official trail (there are some shortcuts) - and again atop of a pretty steep hill. It's certainly doable but it's a workout with all the photo gear.

At both locations trails were cleared of snow and very well maintained.

JR

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for the extra info. Looks like I shall have to get a bit fitter !