Thread: Macro IOTW for the week ending 11/19/2010 Jeff Dyck: Jumping Spider on a Leaf

Roman Kurywczak

Default Macro IOTW for the week ending 11/19/2010 Jeff Dyck: Jumping Spider on a Leaf

Attached Images Attached Images

Congratulations Jeff Dyck for your image "Jumping Spider on a Leaf" being chosen as the Macro Image of the Week for the week ending 11/19/2010!!!

This little jumping spider hopped on my shirt while I was out in the backyard last spring and in doing so became my first subject for testing out my new reversing ring. For scale, this little fellow is about 1/4" in length (not quite big enough to eat Harry Potter yet...). The shot you see is just a hair shy of full frame (the image was cropped a hair to better center the subject) and basically straight out of the camera.

The technical stuff --> Shot hand-held with a reversed 28mm Pentax-M lens (from my dusty, 25-year old Pentax 35mm film camera kit) mounted to a 25mm extension tube shot at f11 (I'd have liked to have gone with an even smaller aperture, but using stop down metering (even in live-view) in low light you have to be able to see your subject to focus, and that was near to impossible at f22). Lighting is with a 580EX Canon flash equipped with an inexpensive mini-softbox.

Canon 5DII -- Pentax-M 28mm f2.8 mounted in reverse (with a reversing ring) w/ 25mm extension tube -- f11 @ 1/125s -- ISO400 -- 580EX Flash through a cheap plastic softbox

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Congratulations Jeff! The eyes really make the image!

Forum Participant OvidiuCavasdan's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Congratulations Jeff! Cool image!

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Congratulations Jeff

Nate Chappell

Congrats Jeff!:cool: