Thread: Crouching Dragon, Hidden Tiger

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Crouching Dragon, Hidden Tiger

Attached Images Attached Images

Sound strange? Yes, the movie was Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. But it was changed from the original Chinese idiom which was Hidden Dragon, Crouching Tiger. So, since I have a Dragon here and no Tiger, I changed it up a bit more. I was able to decipher which character was which and I reordered them so that it now says: Crouching Dragon, Hidden Tiger. :p Just a play on words since it has nothing to do with the actual meaning.

As far as PP, I did a crop, Fotosketcher pencil sketch #3 blended back with the original, and a little bit of cloning to get rid of leaves at the bottom. I sure wish that dragonfly had been on some bamboo instead of that weed. That would have been so nice.

I have found a lot of useful info on this website (including the tidbit above).

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Outstanding composition, Patti. Love the simplicity, color and details. I like the framing too. The chop and the characters looks perfect. TFS.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Patti,

That's a beauty. I agree the comp is perfect. Thanks for the tip on PP, I will have to try that, the effect is terrific. Very painterly feel to it!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very good job here Patti! I like that the frame colors match the dragonfly. The comp is nicely balanced. The chop color in this post is not red enough for me, unlike your prior post which was too bright red:o. If you can get the chop color somewhere in between the two, you will be right on! Good stuff!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nicely done Patti...excellent work

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Patti, very nice! I like the colors and the gradient of the background. The frame really works nicely with your excellent composition. Well done.
    "It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera... they are made with the eye, heart, and head." - Henri Cartier Bresson

Please visit me on the web at http://kerryperkinsphotography.com

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Patti, You nailed this one. I agree w/ Dan regarding the chop but the composition and the high key BG look great together. This is a great image for the theme.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Super outstanding creation, Young Lady. I love the simplicity in it's elegance

:cool:

Roman Kurywczak

Hey Patti,
    This does have a great feel and look to it!!! I think you nailed the theme and since I don't know enough about the color thing......will leave it to the experts! This one was very well done!

Landscapes Moderator Andrew McLachlan's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Beautiful work Patti!

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks all. I don't have a clue on that chop color. I used to have a little program that would give me the RGB values of a color when I hovered my mouse over it. I need to find that program again and find out what color the HUNT red is. :)

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Superb as noted above. What is the chop???
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great image, Patti! Has a perfect oriental feel with its colors, comp, and simplicity. :)
    God Bless
    Christopher, Old Photo Master and Master Texturizer

Old Memories Photography

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Beautifully done, Patti.:)
    "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly" - The Little Prince

http://tuscawillaphotographycherylslechta.zenfolio.com/

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Artie, Christopher and Cheryl.

Artie, The best I can describe the chop is a type of signature. It was used in ancient China and Japan and from what I understand is still used today, especially to sign artwork. A stamp is carved from soft metal or a soft stone (commonly jade) and the stamp (the actual "chop") is dipped in a red dye and then stamped onto the artwork or contract. There is a whole lot more to it and many references on the web.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Patti for the edification :) I would love to know the derivation. Ah, I can't believe that I found it: [Hindi chāp, seal.] You gotta love the web.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Did you draw the letters in the chop freehand?

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Artie, Yes, just made a very large new photoshop file and drew it with a brush. Then I saved the file in Black and White as a new brush. That's why it is so simple. I don't draw very well, especially with a mouse. I don't have a Wacom.

I used this tutorial to make it... http://www.bittbox.com/photoshop/how...hotoshop-brush

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks. Amazing. You did quite well at drawing the Chinese characters!

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Oh, I thought you meant the initials on my chop - not the calligraphy. I grabbed the calligraphy off of the site up in the first post of this thread. Their policy is that you can use their art if you reference them.

The chop is just my initials in red.

Patti

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hey Patti, Thanks for the further edification. I think that I have it now :) BTW, I never mentioned that I like the image and the treatment. The design and the colors are all loverly.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Lovely. It has an Asiatic feel to it. The colors are perfect.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Artie and Anita. I appreciate the encouragement.