Thread: Update on Sarasota / Venice Area

Michael Pancier

Default Update on Sarasota / Venice Area

HOT Sandhill Crane action at the Celery Fields in Sarasota; particularly on the South field between 4pm - 6:00pm. The cranes start coming in before sunset and the action continues even at dusk. Had to be close to 20-30 sandhills by sundown. Lots of fun for those who can't make it to Bosque.

Venice Rookery has about 6-7 active GBH nests. Not much more other than occasional warblers, mockingbirds, and woodpeckers. But all the Brazilian pepper plants have been cut down so you have better angles towards the nests on all sides of the island. Should be real good in a few months.

The Venice landfill area saw about a dozen or so immature and mature bald eagles and a lot of American Kestrals.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for the update Michael...nice to see SOMEONE posting to this thread again!

AJ

Michael Pancier

Quote Originally Posted by AJ Witt1 View Post
    Thanks for the update Michael...nice to see SOMEONE posting to this thread again!

AJ
    Summer/Fall are usually slow and I don't do any bird photography; but the actions kicking up again and pretty good too

Roman Kurywczak

Thanks for the updates Michael,
    Will be headed that way late Feb. or early March!

Kathy S . Gillentine

Thanks for the update Michael, heading that way today

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Celery Fields

I was at Celery Fields on December 23 about 8 am and parked at the Gazebo. Many of the little ponds were dried up and the number of birds i was saw there compared with late October was much fewer. Is this normal for late December at Celery Fields.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi,

We visitited the celery fields today and found it very productive. There were an estimate of 50 ot 60 sandhill cranes coming in and out. The best place we found so far is to enter the road that is closed except for local traffic. The light was not perfect as the sun was hiding behind some thicker clouds and the tiny little insects were pretty annoying. We arrived shortly after 4:00 PM and stayed until 5:45 PM.

Happy New Year to all of you,

Peter & Eva

Michael Pancier

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Shapiro View Post
    I was at Celery Fields on December 23 about 8 am and parked at the Gazebo. Many of the little ponds were dried up and the number of birds i was saw there compared with late October was much fewer. Is this normal for late December at Celery Fields.
    Steve, the crane action is across the street from the Gazebos on the lake/pond area. I park on the side of the road and walk around the lake as Peter noted.

David Osborn

Default Celery Fields

Hi There;
    I'm visiting from the UK in March - I'm not familiar with the Celery fields.
    Can i ask exactly where they are and if it'll be worth a visit in March
    Regards
    David

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

David,

I can not tell you if it is worth visiting the fields in March but I could help you with some details about getting there:

http://www.sarasotaaudubon.org/celery%20fields.aspx
    http://www.sarasotaaudubon.org/maps/gazebo.aspx

We had the most action south of Palmer Bvd along the basins and the nearby farmer's fields @ Raymond Rd.

Peter

David Osborn

Thanks Peter - Appreciated.
    Regards
    David

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Can anyone tell me how the action is at the Venice rookery and/or Celery fields? I was thinking of going there early next week.

Kathy S . Gillentine

Quote Originally Posted by allanrube View Post
    Can anyone tell me how the action is at the Venice rookery and/or Celery fields? I was thinking of going there early next week.
    Hi Alan, Venice has some nesting GBH with chicks, I was there about 3 weeks ago, Celery fields was busy when I was there about 2 weeks ago. Also at Pinelands Reserve saw about 5 juvenile eagles, and one nesting pair.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Kathy.