Thread: Ball Bay, Norfolk Island, Australia

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Ball Bay, Norfolk Island, Australia

Attached Images Attached Images

Hello All,

During a recent 7-day landscape workshop on Norfolk Island, Australia with Trekabout (http://www.trekaboutphotography.com/) I started to experiment with using the Singh Ray Vari ND at minimum setting to hold down the glare on the water while also using the SR Grad ND to hold down the sky as the sun did what it usually does ;).

Camera: 5D2
    Capture date/time: 101111
    Light condition: dawn
    Lens: 16-35 f/2.8
    Focal length:35mm
    Distance: 655m
    Extender: none
    Tube: none
    Flash/Comp:
    ISO: 100
    Exp Prog: Av
    Speed: 0.6
    Aperture: f/18
    Exp Comp: none
    Metering: Evaluative
    WB: Auto
    AF Drive: One-shot AF
    Tripod: yes
    Filter: Singh Ray Vari ND, and 3-stop Grad ND
    Crop: 20-25% off of the top
    Images Changes: none

Processed in LR 3 and then CS5, Topaz Denoise, and Pixel Genius Sharpening.

All C&Cs gratefully appreciated!
    Cheers, Jay

My Digital Art - "Nature Interpreted" - can now be view at http://www.luvntravlnphotography.com

"Nature Interpreted" - Photography begins with your mind and eyes, and ends with an image representing your vision and your reality of the captured scene; photography exceeds the camera sensor's limitations. Capturing and Processing landscapes and seascapes allows me to express my vision and reality of Nature.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Fantastic colours! I would personally like a little more on the bottom.

Tim

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love the coloured layers in the clouds Jay, agree on just a bit more rock FG.
    TFs

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Repost with more rock!

Through the magic of LR and PS your wish is my command! :D

I like it too with more rock; it rocks!!
    Cheers, Jay

My Digital Art - "Nature Interpreted" - can now be view at http://www.luvntravlnphotography.com

"Nature Interpreted" - Photography begins with your mind and eyes, and ends with an image representing your vision and your reality of the captured scene; photography exceeds the camera sensor's limitations. Capturing and Processing landscapes and seascapes allows me to express my vision and reality of Nature.

Roman Kurywczak

Hey Jay,
    Glad to see you here! The first suggestions would have been mine.....so the repost works but still needs a few small &easy tweaks to take it over the top....at the bottom frame edge....you have a few spots of color....2 larger ones and 2 small one.....fill that in.....and you've got a winner for sure! BTW.....I have debated the LH side rocks for a bit.....I am OK with them but do wonder if you took some with more of it in? All in all a very nice job and glad to see you back!!!

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hey Jay, welcome back!! nice hearing from you...especially with a nicely presented image. Had the same observation about the bottom when I first saw the image then scrolled down and saw it too my liking. Agree about Roman's suggestion for a fill in on the bottom but nicely done overall...

Slider27

Nice work Jay. I have some with the same colour and thought I had overcooked them until I saw yours. The colour was very real and well worth the early start. :o

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi,

Thanks for the comments.

Roman, I initially left those bits of light to because they had color and gave definition to the rocks. If I remove the the light spots it all becomes black at the bottom. When you say more rocks, I can do one of two things: 1) simply extend the black canvass, or 2) using, for example, Viveza, open up/lighten the rocks.

I can simply uncrop the bottom of this image and add more "rocks" - a bit more anyway!

I can also add more of the hill on the LHS.

Unfortunately, as with all golden moments, the ones with significantly more rocks have lesser skies.

I think I am going to attempt a blend using this great sky with one that has much better foreground. Will take a day or so to do. Perhaps I should have had this in ETL.

Later!
    Cheers, Jay

Roman Kurywczak

Hey Jay,
    As always....subjective but I want the base to be black!.....a huge fan of silhouettes....so it may be a personal preference thing. I think if you fill those things in the contour of the FG becomes a nice base for the colors! No need to go into ETL(sorry Jules!)......works great here....although if you like I can copy it there too so they can benefit from the advice and give their thoughts as well! I had a gut feeling the area to the left wouldn't add.....but had to ask just so others can learn from the advice. Just remember....all we do here is offer suggestions.....what you do with them is up to you!!! Our goal here in landscapes is to offer you possibilites and options to explore when in the field........to think! All these things only make us all better photogs IMO and kep us fresh....me included!!! my friend!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

ETL: up to you Mr. Moderator!! :D I have no trouble double posting.

I will post a quick version filling in the spots between the rocks, adding more black/rocks that I cropped out initially, and adding more to the left that I had eliminated.

We all learn all of the time!

PS: Tell James we need a different icon with port glasses!
    Cheers, Jay

Roman Kurywczak

I don't know about the port glasses....you have no idea what it took to get the clanking beer glasses.....and these too! I think I will copy it!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi, You request - You get!
    Cheers, Jay

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like it better; you?

This is now uncropped from LHS and bottom; only crop is the top of the sky where the color wasn't!

BTW, that was the sky!!
    Last edited by Jay Gould; 11-19-2010 at 08:40 PM.
    Cheers, Jay

Roman Kurywczak

WooooHoooo! Absolutely!!! Sometimes I know what I'm talking about!!!:cool:

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Roman Kurywczak View Post
    WooooHoooo! Absolutely!!! Sometimes I know what I'm talking about!!!:cool:
    In my home, my caravan, I only have 4 frames for photos. The are sandwiched plexiglas using standoffs.

This final image is going into one of those frames - thanks for the help.

I love it too!
    Cheers, Jay

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The final uncropped is my pick Jay. Shows off the Norfolk Pines nicely off to the left and showcases that glorious sky to it's full extent. Love it. You'll notice I have now sorted my log-in to the correct convention for this forum. Now that I have a proper log-in here it might be time to post up a few birds :D

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Mark,

Allow me to introduce Mark Rayner, one of two Treakabout instructors, and the instructor that was up early with me the morning I shot this image.

Mark, time to become a Forum Member!! The best $20/value on the internet. Then it is easy to post your images and you don't have to post by reference to another location.

I am looking forward to critiquing your images too!

For the record the final images is cropped to the extent that I removed the colorless sky from the top. I am still going to try a blend of one of my lighter foregrounds with this sky and post the result for comparison.

Cheers and welcome to BPN!!
    Cheers, Jay

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Gould View Post

Cheers and welcome to BPN!!

Thanks for the welcome Jay. Looking forward to it.

Robert Amoruso

The final post is what you want Jay - black at the bottom.