Thread: "Fieldcraft Portrait": White-throated Rock Thrush

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default "Fieldcraft Portrait": White-throated Rock Thrush

Attached Images Attached Images

My specialty is becoming the "fieldcraft portrait." I've coined that term to describe a shot, usually a close-up, of a wild bird, usually perching. A fieldcraft portrait displays not just the bird but the photographer's knowledge of the species; his ability to get close; and his photographic mastery. Shooting this white-throated rock thrush, found in a coastal forest near the Yellow Sea last month, required me to get to Jiangsu at just the right time to shoot this passage migrant, and then, once there, to search for and stalk her. I love fieldcraft portraiture because it involves having a relationship with a wild bird. The bird is aware of your presence but tolerates your close approach (or even approaches you). Your knowledge of birds and photography and your physical fitness give you control over the situation. This is a female.

Device: Nikon D300
    Lens: VR 600mm F/4G
    Focal length: 600mm
    VR: OFF
    Aperture: F/6.3
    Shutter Speed: 1/160s
    Exposure Mode: Manual
    Exposure Comp.: 0EV
    Metering: Center-Weighted
    ISO Sensitivity: ISO 320

Other notes: Shot in mirror-up mode. Used shutter-release cable.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Craig, I agree, knowing the subjects behaviour helps in getting the images you want. There will always be the time when you just get too close for that perfect shot, and it flies away and leaving you with nothing at that point of time. Another good comp and pose, with your BG more even. This I find nice and sharp. Im not familiar with this species, but tend to see a slight green cast in this. Here is a version with a ever so slight reduction of green by using colour balance. I also toned down the BG. Hope you dont mind.

Ákos Lumnitzer

Craig
    I really like your approach here, certainly a nice portrait. I am not a square crop fan, but it kind of works here. Well done mate. :)

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Good job approaching this guy. Another thing I like about succesful fieldcraft is the satisfaction that comes with it. Don't get me wrong, I love feeders, hides, and the help of audio and use those alot...but when I get close by pure fielcraft its just bonus!! I like Stuart's tweak. I think fill-flash would have helped but I suspect you didn't want to spook the bird from point-blank range. Overall well done!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Craig, Beautiful close up details and clear eye. I think that Stuart's tweaks look good. Lovely BG.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks all, and thanks, Stuart, for the tweaks, which improved things.