Thread: MINWR Pond Scum

Robert Amoruso

Default MINWR Pond Scum

Attached Images Attached Images

I made this image during one of my Space Coast Birding and Wildlife Festival workshops in January this year. We were having a difficult time with the weather which equated to no birds. So I told everyone to walk around and try to make an interesting image and then we would look at them on the LCDs.

I came up with this because I wanted to show people that interesting patterns show up everywhere. I like the pattern and framing affect of the scum and how the dead palm frond enters the image. Good? Bad? Pond Scum?

The original is flat and low in tonal range but you can do a lot with it in PS which was my response to one of the comments. I cloned out some distractions. Hey, I am trying to make it look better. :)

Canon 1D Mark IIn
    100-400mm @ 100mm
    1/125 sec, f/5
    Mode: Av
    Metering: Evaluative
    Exp comp: +1
    ISO: 800
    Last edited by Robert Amoruso; 03-13-2008 at 09:55 PM.

Robert O'Toole

Like the shapes and the colors but the fact that its scum is kinda of kills it for me, well I guess as far as scum images go its great! :)

The title should really be pond scum and guppies :) hey the guppies are a plus.

Robert

Anita Rakestraw

Attached Images Attached Images

I find it too light and hazy and dislike all those white specks! I like it better after darkening, adding contrast, and tediously cloning out the white specks! What do you think?

P.S. After uploading, I think it's a bit too contrasty.....?
    Last edited by Anita Rakestraw; 03-14-2008 at 03:16 AM. Reason: add P.S.

Robert O'Toole

Quote Originally Posted by Anita Rakestraw View Post
    I find it too light and hazy and dislike all those white specks! I like it better after darkening, adding contrast, and tediously cloning out the white specks! What do you think?

P.S. After uploading, I think it's a bit too contrasty.....?
    I like the repost, its an improvement. The water surface looks much better esp.

Robert

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Robert, I agree that interesting patterns show up everywhere and I like to hunt for them myself. I like the look of the repost here, though I am ambivalent about whether the white specks should be in or out. Also, once my eye had covered the obvious features of the algae (pond scum) and palm frond, it was a treat to discover all the small fish in the water.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Robert I like the idea of dealing with what comes your way. "If you receive lemons, make lemonade!"

I did find the original post a little flat (pale) but it may just be be my office monitor. I do like Anita's slightly darker version but you definitely had the right idea.

Roman Kurywczak

Hi Robert,
    I agree with Anita..............as I was going to mention the white specs on the water....but she did get a little too contrasty. in your version, I like the fact you see the grasses going down into the water and the bonus fish. Maybe toning down the left bottom corner green and also eliminating the white specs.........and like Stephen says..........you have lemonade!
    Roman

Robert Amoruso

Finally getting back here.

Thanks Anita. Looks a lot better with the hazy look cleared up. White specks gone look good. I have to stop doing my PS work at the monitor where I work. What looks OK there looks bad at home on the calibrated monitor.

All comments were appreciated.