Thread: Morning Light

Julie Kenward

Default Morning Light

Attached Images Attached Images

There's just something about the quality of light this time of year that makes my heart pound. With all the trees in full color now they act as colorful diffusers and make the most out of morning light. I took this image this morning around 10 AM at a local park. I added just a touch of saturation and a very gentle contrast boost to bring out the light/dark sides of the image.

I thought this would make an interesting image to discuss because it doesn't exactly follow the Rule of Third's (ROT's). The photo is more or less half light/half dark and the leaf - the main focal point - is too high and very centered as well. So what do you think when you see this? Does it matter to you? Do you like it or not like it and why? If you had seen this on one of your walks how would you have tried to frame it differently?

Canon 40D, EF 70-200mm f/4L
    F 5.6 @ 1/100th, ISO 200
    Manual mode, pattern metering, handheld, natural light
    Processed in ACR & CS4; small crop, saturation and contrast boost

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

This is postred in the wrong forum -- this is the avian forum where we do C&C on bird photos. This will draw more C&C if it were moved the landscape forum

Julie Kenward

Actually Scott, it is not posted in the wrong forum. This is the Eager to Learn forum (not just for Avian but for ALL types of nature photographs when the photographer is new and/or learning and wants "gentler" critiques.)

As one of the Moderators of this forum I posted it to get you all to think about the Rule of Thirds and when to use - or not use it.

Copied from the Eager To Learn Forum Description:
    This area is for those of us who may be new to critique forums and are a little unsure about posting. Post here and you will receive help, guidance and gentle critiques. Soon you will be ready to post in our other forums. General nature photography images may be posted, with or without hand of man elements. If you have significantly altered your image by adding or removing elements of the composition, we ask that you let folks know what you have done.

Lifetime Member Michael Gerald-Yamasaki's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Julie Kenward View Post
    So what do you think when you see this? Does it matter to you? Do you like it or not like it and why? If you had seen this on one of your walks how would you have tried to frame it differently?
    Jules,

Greetings. It seems a little chopped off at the top for my taste. I find the relatively brighter negative space in the upper right corner a bit of a problem. If it were mine, I would tone down that corner so it isn't the brightest of the bg and, perhaps, crop a little from that side.

Wish for a bit more on top.

I like the color very much and the branch pattern.

Cheers,

-Michael-

Cheers,

-Michael-

Julie Kenward

Thanks, Michael...that was my feeling as well. I liked the brighter area but did two versions - one more subdued than this one so I'll go back to it and rethink the crop. Glad to see someone had their visual thinking cap on. Kudos to you for giving it a go.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Julie Kenward View Post
    Thanks, Michael...that was my feeling as well. I liked the brighter area but did two versions - one more subdued than this one so I'll go back to it and rethink the crop. Glad to see someone had their visual thinking cap on. Kudos to you for giving it a go.
    I tend to agree with Michael on this one.
    I think if I had been shooting this I would have tried vertical so there would be a bit more on top and less of the brighter area. This would probably put the leaf in the ROT.
    Hard to tell without being there though :confused:

Julie Kenward

Good idea, Neil. I'll take a look at shaving some off the right side and go back and see if I have any more at the top of the frame.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Seems like a contnuing exchange of ideas. Could be shown a 100 different ways according to your taste. This is not saying I think this right, only another thought to maybe find something that grabs you. It nutures the thought process, and keeps the mystery alive.

Way to go Julie!

Gus

Julie Kenward

Nicely done, Gus!

I did find another frame of this same plant and the leaf is more in keeping with the ROT's so I'm going to play around with that one, too...but your crop has me really intrigued now.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

love the colors - and i like Gus' crop a lot!