Thread: Bubble Rock - Acadia National Park

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Bubble Rock - Acadia National Park

Attached Images Attached Images

This is a picture I took last week atop Bubble Rock. It's comprised of 7 vertical shots stitched together in CS3.

Even though I've read you should hardly ever polarize a pano, I did polarize this. I did get a darker blue sky in the middle and have worked on that a bit, but I should probably spend a little more time on it.

I welcome any comments, positive or not...thanks!

Landscapes Moderator Andrew McLachlan's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

It looks very nice there. I like the composition. The elements in this scene are well placed with just enough sky. The 7 verticals gave you a nice big image. In similar situations where the sky is concerned I have had some luck, using Nik Software's Viveza plugin for correcting such variations in the sky. I think it would help you here. You could download the trial version if you don't already own the plugin and play around with it. When I shoot my panoramics that include sky I prefer not to use the polarizer that way I get a nice evenly toned sky. When in doubt you can always shoot one series of images with and one series without.

Banned
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

AJ,

Beautiful image. I like how the lines lead my eye to the horizon just left of center. Colors look great (on my uncalibrated laptop). But I find my eyes being drawn to the bright upper right corner. I feel the image would be improved it the bright sky on the right were reduced.

Roger

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Andrew and Roger!

Roger, yes, I am not too fond of the sky in the upper right either...that's the part I was referring to in my post w/ the picture that I think could still use some work. I'm not exactly how to go about doing it in CS3 (I don't have Viveza), but I will play with it and get it looking better.

Thanks again!

Roman Kurywczak

Hey Aj,
    Very well composed and Roger nailed my thoughts on the URC and I see you thought as much yourself. Did you try a multiplied layer on that part. (Robert has a tutorial on tonal range tweaks with a section on that at the top of the forum I believe).......this may work so worth giving it a try. You have some great blance in the scene here with the rest of the image so well worth exploring. That fix wil take it to it's rightful place!!!

Robert Amoruso

Hi AJ,

I like the FG left rock is triangular in shape and points/guides the eye into the image - your composed it well.

For the UR, I would try a curves adjustment targeted for that area to reduce the highlights and then mask off the rest of the image. You can apply a gradient mask to the image first to transition it near that corner and then paint black using a paint brush on the rest of the image.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Robert and Roman, I will give your technique a try!