Thread: new Antarctic season approaching!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default new Antarctic season approaching!

Spring is springing in the southern hemisphere and that means cruise ships are heading south as we speak, in anticipation of starting Antarctic operations in November. And the 1000s of people that will visit the Last Continent this season are getting excited by the day!

I head south for my 10th season in 10 days (panic!), and my ship, the Fram, is crossing the equator on her way to Buenos Aires, where I'll meet her on 31 October. We will then head to the Falkland Islands, South Georgia, Antarctica, and Chile. I will try to post here regularly on my observations as I visit new locations and return to others I first visited 15 years ago.

If a trip to Antarctica is in your future, don't hesitate to post questions on conditions, itineraries, locations, clothing, photo gear, or anything else that comes to mind.

Forum Participant
    Maryland's Eastern Shore, beside Fairlee Creek near the Chesapeake Bay
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Have a great trip John! Linda and I will join you next year.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Look forward to meeting you and Linda next year! Follow our blog at http://mvfram.blogspot.com/

Forum Participant
    Maryland's Eastern Shore, beside Fairlee Creek near the Chesapeake Bay
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

John:

I really enjoy your blog, and the image of the Tropical Parula stowaway is nifty.

Do you build the blog from Fram's internet cafe?

Norm

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Norm, we have internet access in many parts of the ship via WIFI so if you have your own computer you can access the net that way. As you say there is also an internet cafe with a few desktop computers to use. Staff have their own computers and thats where we build the blog. Glad you are enjoying it.

We will reach the Falkland Islands early tomorrow morning.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

John
    Ohhhhh......heavy sigh!! I'd give anything to be on that trip. Antarctica is at the top of my list.....but I'll have to retire from teaching.....again to go. I'm savoring every image and line of the blog. Sometime when you get time.....probably not until the trip's over....I'd like to know more about the specifics of the trip that you're on.