Attached Images Attached Images

Canon EOS REBEL T1i
    Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro
    Av mode
    1/6"
    F11
    ISO:200
    Tripod
    Canon 430EX w/softbox attached: On, Fired (comp -3 w/wide panel)
    LR and CS3

Due to severe drought conditions in this area, the only way to get nice shots of fall colors is to go to the macro lens. Most trees are going from green to brown. :(

I've always liked the odd shaped seeds of a Partridge Pea. The leaf is from a Hickory. Shot indoors with window light and a small amount of flash. Rotated, cropped.

Forum Participant Valerio Tarone's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

hi Ken fine and interestingcompo.The oblique lines are strong! the other lines, in theBG,guide the eye to the seeds making a strong geometry. do I well understand to write a thread every 5 threads?

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Valerio Tarone View Post
    hi Ken fine and interestingcompo.The oblique lines are strong! the other lines, in theBG,guide the eye to the seeds making a strong geometry. do I well understand to write a thread every 5 threads?
    Hi Valerio,

We would love it if you could post comments to at least 5 images every time you post one of your pictures. Posting critiques is a great way to teach yourself to become a better photographer. It causes you to think about what you like or do not like about an image. That can help you to think about what you should be looking for when you are taking pictures yourself. :)

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

i love this composition , colour and sharpness looks pretty good to me , well done !!!

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I really like the sharpness throughout this image. I am also fascinated by the curl in the left pod section, allowing us to see the edge detail ,and just a hint of the back/outside of the pod. It just adds another dimension to this images story.

Roman Kurywczak

Hey Ken,
    Super job with the light and I really like the contrast of the pod with the leaf color......seeds take it up yet another notch with great detail in the blacks. If you "arranged" it......looks very natural so good job there too. Overall....great job on this!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Ken. We had the opposite problem up this way (a very wet summer), but the same result - the leaves quickly went from green to brown to down.
    This is another very cool photo. Nice job on the lighting, I like all the diagonals in the comp, the open seed pod and the decaying leaf set the season, and the scattered seeds add the final touch. Also, good sharpness throughout, and nice detail in those blacks. Very well done!

Mike Moats

Hey Ken, I like the comp, good details through out. Nice lighting

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Ken; I like the concept, detail, and compoistion. What I think would improve the image, actually if you shot the scene again, is the inclusion of some shadows to give the image a more 3D feel; it is looks very flat. This may have been your intent, and there is nothing wrong with it, but IMO soft edged (and subdued) shadows would help take it up a notch. regards~Bill

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Superb compositon!
    Thomas Herou

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Ken...I like this image but would like to see more shadows and perhaps some vignetting to highlight the seedpod and create some mood....just a thought!

Julie Kenward

That is really an interesting pod, Ken...don't think I've ever seen anything like it. I like the comp and the little square seeds falling out of it. There is one spot on the leaf right next to the furthest left pod that I'd clone out but everything else is very nice. Lovely macro image.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hey Ken.............

Out-of-the-park comp! Artistic..............

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great way to compensate for the lack of fall colors. Of course, I love macros, so I'm biased. Nice job here. I especially like the curved shell and the little hairs. By the way, why am I not seeing thumbnail images?

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Anita Bower View Post
    Great way to compensate for the lack of fall colors. Of course, I love macros, so I'm biased. Nice job here. I especially like the curved shell and the little hairs. By the way, why am I not seeing thumbnail images?
    Thanks everyone for the comments!

Anita, there have been some recent changes to BPN and whenever than happens there are usually a few bugs to work out but you should be able to see the thumbnails of the images hosted on BPN. Images hosted off site are missing their thumbnails for now. Let me know if no thumbnails are showing at all.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Ken,

This is nothing short of brilliant IMO. Wish I had a photo this well done in my files. Thanks for sharing...

Charlie Wesley
    St. Augustine Beach, FL
    http://naturesphotographs.com

Landscapes Moderator Andrew McLachlan's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Well done Ken. Nice sharpness throughout and nice placement of the seeds.