Thread: Water Falls in B&W

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Water Falls in B&W

Attached Images Attached Images

This is a 3 image HDR done in Photomatix 4.0. I started with the new B&W pre-set, then made some adjustments, to black and white points and luminosity. I then loaded it into PS and brought out some contrast with LCE. Canon EOS 5D MKII, 24-105mm at 67mm, ISO 100, f/22, SS 5s. (-1, +1). I was trying to get in close for some B&Ws so this is mostly full frame. A pretty simple image but I really like the overall feel to it.

Landscapes Moderator Andrew McLachlan's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Nick,

I really like the look of this image and how you framed the flowing water with the surrounding rocks. Looks great as b&w I'd love to see the original color capture someday too.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default repost

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Nick, nice composition with the water coming in on the right and leaving on the left. A long average exposure which created the silky look which has some detail and is not blown out. I like the HDR effect but felt it needed a small contrast adj. I selected just the rocks and did a levels adj just to give it a bit more pop. Good eye on this....

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Beautiful flow to this Nick. The B&W looks good. I think Dave's contrast boost looks good. I like the comp. the center has so much interest. Nicely done.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

WOW, awesome, really like the repost!!!
    Don

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice re-post Dave, Looks a lot better. I think it lost some contrast on the re-size for BPN. I think the TIFF even has a bit more contrast.

Robert Amoruso

Nick,

First off I think B&W was the perfect choice here - it breaks down the image into its most pleasing elements, the expertly positioned flow of the water and the details in the rock captured due to the HDR. Dave's reposted contrast increase is exactly what I felt needed to be done. Great work.

Roman Kurywczak

Hey Nick,
    As mentioned above the B&W was a VG choice and Dave's tweak was the icing on the cake! Very good job composing this. Was this a close up of Adams from Saturday?

Susan Candelario

Hi Nick,
    I love how you came in tight in this one & the b/w conversion! Good job pp the HDR as well. The added contrast boost re-post by Dave completed an already wonderful image. ;)
    ~Susan