Thread: Neon Grasshopper

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Neon Grasshopper

I cropped and did a levels adjustment make it this color:)
    Name:  neonGH.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  199.1 KB

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Jim, now that is GREEN! :D

I like the color and the comp but would like it more if the antenna wasn't cut off. There are a few dark spots in the BG that are slightly distracting and could be easily smoothed out. There's 1 tiny white spot on the right that needs to go away. I wonder what caused that?

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Childs View Post
    Jim, now that is GREEN! :D

I like the color and the comp but would like it more if the antenna wasn't cut off. There are a few dark spots in the BG that are slightly distracting and could be easily smoothed out. There's 1 tiny white spot on the right that needs to go away. I wonder what caused that?
    That white spot on the right is the little dudes foot...I almost removed it but kept it on this one:). It's fun playing with curves... you can really get some weird colors..:D

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hey Jim, the spot I'm looking at is 1 white pixel near the right edge, below and to the right of the foot.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Jim, You came up with something very interesting here. The green is lovely. I like the basic comp. but feel it may be a tiny bit too tight top and bottom. Nice smooth BG. Nice HA:)

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Childs View Post
    Hey Jim, the spot I'm looking at is 1 white pixel near the right edge, below and to the right of the foot.
    I see what you're talking about now wow you got really good eyes!!:D You forced me to go look at the original raw file and see if it was on it and it wasn't so now I'm truly stumped.
    Name:  neonGH 2.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  196.1 KB
    Last edited by Jim Bridges; 09-14-2010 at 07:59 AM.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jim, I like your very green grasshopper! Good to see you experimenting with curves. You can get some interesting effects with that simple adjustment layer. It does seem a bit tight in the frame but I like it a lot.
    "It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera... they are made with the eye, heart, and head." - Henri Cartier Bresson

Please visit me on the web at http://kerryperkinsphotography.com

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Perkins View Post
    Hi Jim, I like your very green grasshopper! Good to see you experimenting with curves. You can get some interesting effects with that simple adjustment layer. It does seem a bit tight in the frame but I like it a lot.
    Thanks Kerry! I guess I'm going to have to get PS at some point down the line so I can really get OOTB with post processing... I like doing it with the camera too.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like your green-toned image. It has a sort of translucent quality too.

You gotta watch these guys, they have great eyes and can spot things mere mortals overlook :p

Judy

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

That is a cool looking grasshopper. I like the green tone. Excellent details.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Jim, Green and in your face! Neat OOTB effect. The detail and color really makes this pop.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Jim, Love the color and detail. This is a really neat image.
    "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly" - The Little Prince

http://tuscawillaphotographycherylslechta.zenfolio.com/

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very cool grasshopper image, Jim! Love the details, comp, and bright neon green colors.
    God Bless
    Christopher, Old Photo Master and Master Texturizer

Old Memories Photography

Threads
    Thank You Posts

The colors and textures are amazing but count me in the too tight camp. I would love to see what this looked like out-of-camera.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Morris View Post
    The colors and textures are amazing but count me in the too tight camp. I would love to see what this looked like out-of-camera.
    This is the original raw file converted to jpeg. sized to 800 X 535 for the site. I usually shoot all of my images so I can do a little cropping on them if I have the opportunity...it gives me more options, but it depends on the subjects I'm shooting...some are more willing than others.:)
    Name:  ghooc 1.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  180.6 KB

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks. I have a question: it the green thing to our left of the stalk part of the plant or part of the grasshopper? I had been assuming that it was a wing but am having second thoughts on that....
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks. I have a question: it the green thing to our left of the stalk part of the plant or part of the grasshopper? I had been assuming that it was a wing but am having second thoughts on that....
    That is part of the plant. The wing is hidden behind the rear leg of the GH.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Jim, That's what I had finally figured out. Here's my thought: shooting wide to allow for cropping is a great plan. I do believe that the error here was that you were working in horizontal format; with the tall plant and the long grasshopper oriented vertically this should have been a vertical capture. You could have easily avoided the stuffed-in-the-frame look as seen here in Pane 1. Did you make any verticals?

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Jim, That's what I had finally figured out. Here's my thought: shooting wide to allow for cropping is a great plan. I do believe that the error here was that you were working in horizontal format; with the tall plant and the long grasshopper oriented vertically this should have been a vertical capture. You could have easily avoided the stuffed-in-the-frame look as seen here in Pane 1. Did you make any verticals?
    I believe the "error" was my cropping choice on this post...I wanted it to be OOTB too.:D Thanks for your thoughts!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Bridges View Post
    I believe the "error" was my cropping choice on this post...I wanted it to be OOTB too.:D Thanks for your thoughts!
    Hi Jim, YAW but either I disagree strongly or I was not making myself clear: with the horizontal capture, the best crop was simply not available.... Has you turned the camera on its side, there would have been a much more pleasing crop there.... Or try it this way: what did all the space on the sides do for you :) ?

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jim, YAW but either I disagree strongly or I was not making myself clear: with the horizontal capture, the best crop was simply not available.... Has you turned the camera on its side, there would have been a much more pleasing crop there.... Or try it this way: what did all the space on the sides do for you :) ?
    It would do the same as all the space above and below the main subject if I shot it as a vertical and I did shoot several verticals as well...it would be cropped out in the final image I wanted to make. The grasshopper was the subject of interest for me. I knew when I made the images that it would have to be cropped with the software because I could not get as close to the grasshopper as I needed to be. Now let me ask...if I would have cropped the image with more room at the top and bottom would we be having this conversation?:confused:

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Jim, With your original too-tight horizontal capture you could not have cropped this with enough room on the bottom for me :) That's why I made my suggestion in the first place. Om addition, had you posted the original to start with I would have made the same suggestion (in part because the subject is too centered and a vertical would have been much stronger no matter how you framed it. I do not mean to be argumentative here; I am trying to help. Going vertical would have given you "more options."

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Jim, With your original too-tight horizontal capture you could not have cropped this with enough room on the bottom for me :) That's why I made my suggestion in the first place. Om addition, had you posted the original to start with I would have made the same suggestion (in part because the subject is too centered and a vertical would have been much stronger no matter how you framed it. I do not mean to be argumentative here; I am trying to help. Going vertical would have given you "more options."
    Artie, I not trying to be argumentative either but merely saying that I'd cropped it the exact same way (too tight) and posted it even if it was shot in the vertical format. The extra room at the top and bottom or from side to side made no difference in the final image to me. The bottom line is that it is cropped too tight and I'm fine with that evaluation from you and anyone else that thinks that it is. I posted it because I thought the color was interesting from the curve adjustments I made on it and that other folks just might enjoy seeing it as something a little different. Thanks for your help, sir.