Thread: Hey!! My head angle is better than yours!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Hey!! My head angle is better than yours!

Attached Images Attached Images

A group of Brown Pelicans, taken from the deck of the Hooptie Deux....it looked like a little meeting and they were all trying to pose for the camera.

EOS 1D MKIII
    500 mm f/4L IS USM
    Tripod
    Manual mode
    1/250
    f/7.1
    ISO 800

ACR and CS5 added a little canvas on the right, pano type crop

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like this. The light is very pretty. I think the pano crop works quite well. I also love the title :). Sometimes I get the feeling that birds intentionally turn their heads away from me.

Lance Peters

Hi Joel - sweet light, like the low shooting angle and the pano crop works well.
    Done well with the heads 6 visible eyes, no mean feet!!

Ian -- I think what you are mentioning all comes down to attitude - If you go in there with the feeling that they are going to turn there heads away from you - guess what!!
    The Curlews I have been shooting I was parked abut 5 feet away from and being nocturnal they dont do much during the day at all - So I was sitting in the car saying to myself - come on open your mouth, come on open your mouth - guess what happened -for no apparent reason decides to open his mouth and stick his tongue out!
    Sounds weird - I know :)

Julie Kenward

Very nice, Joel. I really like this - especially because you have an odd number of birds at both ends - it really balances out the image nicely. Beautiful lighting...might check and see if the water needs a little CCW rotation - seems to me it's a bit higher on the left than the right.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Julie Kenward View Post
    Very nice, Joel. I really like this - especially because you have an odd number of birds at both ends - it really balances out the image nicely. Beautiful lighting...might check and see if the water needs a little CCW rotation - seems to me it's a bit higher on the left than the right.
    Close Julie, but there are four on our left (including the one that is almost completely hidden) :)
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Joel, You certainly have a variety of head angles on the young pelicans, all very acceptable. The fourth mostly hidden bird in the left hand group was bad luck. The three merged/partially hidden bills are less than ideal.

EXP, SH, and concept are all excellent.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.