Thread: Dunlin

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Dunlin

Attached Images Attached Images

Tripod Canon 7D Canon 500mm f4 L IS & 1.4TC Mk1 ISO 400 1/2000 sec f7.1

I went to the local beach today at high tide and I managed to get to within about 20 feet of ringed plovers, these dunlin were 32.4m away. I couldn't risk getting closer because I would have spooked the ringed plovers, I decided to go for a considerable crop and a narrow landscape. I will be interested to read your C&C.

Forum Participant Joe Senzatimore's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love the pano crop. Light and exposure look good. Birds seem a bit soft , probably due to the crop.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I do like the comp too, the pano crop looks good. Birds look soft to me too, but I think it may also be a DOF issue with not all of them physically on the same plane of focus. Stopping down more would have beneficial. I also wish the left bird had a similar HA as the other two as its face is catching some shadow compared to the other two.

P.S. I like your way of proceeding in the field with your subjects' well-being coming first:)

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Jonathan, I like the pano crop too. I usually don't like them but for this one it works really well. I agree with comments already given. I like the resting poses. This image has a lot of appeal to me. Kudos to you for not spooking the birds:)

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for the feedback everyone, there was indeed a DOF problem here, the other issue was that there was a quite a breeze and I found it difficult to keep the camera still. I have a Gitzo and Mongoose 3.5 head and this I usually keep very still, but last year I bought a Gitzo self levelling head and the rig is by no means as steady, especially with the 1.4TC. I must admit I am a little disappointed with the rigidity, from now on, if I know in advance I will be using the 1.4TC I think I will go back to the standard head supplied with the tripod.