Thread: Windmill on the Prairie

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Windmill on the Prairie

Attached Images Attached Images

The mountain range in BG is the Beartooth/Absoarka Range, the highest range in MT. Incorporated in this range is the highest contiguous plateau in the US. Another image made on the high plains of south central MT. during the month of March.

Mrk3, tripod, ISO 100, f/9, 1/200, 70mm, +0.67 ev.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The first thing that catches my eye in this image is a side view of a windmill. I am confused as to what you are trying to showcase here...If your subject is the windmill, I would keep it in the ROTs, and I think it would be preferable to have a front view of it...of course since I have never been there I am not sure what would be behind it from a frontal view. The BG mountain range is fairly diminutive and IMO not adding a lot to the overall image anyway. TFS

Robert Amoruso

Andrew,

I believe Nick had some good observations for this image. I to wonder what the center of interest is.

I do find the play of light and dark on the plane interesting and see one image w/o the windmill, some of that FG stuff eliminated, concentrating on the layers of light and dark on the grass plane with the mountain range in the BG and a LARGE expanse of sky - perhaps accomplished using stitched images as a wide-angle would diminish the mountains too much.

Another image is a frontal view of the windmill looking up with all the puffy clouds - possibly shoot with a fisheye but certainly the widest wide angle you have.

More contrast in the images would help to generate more delineation in the light to dark layers and the clouds.

I like you thinking and look forward to seeing more images. Thanks for posting.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Andrew, Great suggestions above. Good exposure with warm light.
    The windmill is an interesting subject all by itself. Another idea might have been a concentration more on that than showing the larger scene.

Roman Kurywczak

Hey Andrew,
    Agree with suggestions above....but wil offer you another thing to try......keep in mind that mixed light is one of the most difficult to capture effectively....even with splits and todays moderns DSLR's.....HDR or exposure blends can work.....but not everyones cup of tea. Waiting for the light to hit the windmill.....and Illuminating it with the same tonal value as the grass.....would help.....although I do also think a ROT placment would help. Waiting for the light is a landscapers companion.....patience in this case would help with the overall image.....although you could still miss it because the light doesn't cooperate! Welcome to the world of the landscaper!!!

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks guys. I see what you mean & appreciate your advice.
    Andrew

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The windmill helps show the scale of the landscape, which is difficult to do in such grand vistas. I like it.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Well thanks Jim. That was my intent. The MT prairie is so vast that it is very similar to be at sea.