Thread: Waterfall, Mount Ranier NP

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Waterfall, Mount Ranier NP

Attached Images Attached Images

I'd be grateful for any input on this image - my first posting! It was taken about two weeks ago.

I'm sorry I can't give more information as to where this waterfall was located, but I will try to update this posting when I get it if there is any interest in the data.

Nikon D3 camera, Nikkor 16-35 f4 lens, Hoya HD circular polarizer, Gitzo GT3541XLS tripod, Really Right Stuff BH-55 ballhead, Nikon cable release.

Thanks,
    Ron

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The colors look really nice and the blur on the water appeals to me , but the whole picture looks like it could use another round of sharpening as the rocks look a little soft to me. I would really like to know where in MRNP you found this nice water fall. Ron Thompson

Roman Kurywczak

Hey Ron,
    Welcome to the forum! I'm in Miami right now giving you this critique. If you get a chance post the ISO, SS, and f-stop too for others to learn and also help us critue a bit better and offfer any suggestions there. I like the comp with the silky water and flow and you left most distractions out. I might consider cropping from the right to eliminate the greenery protruding in....the also improves the comp IMO.....but it is OK as is and not a deal breaker. Perhaps another round of USM as Ron T suggested.....but overall very nicely composed and super light. Very nicely done on the 1st one and looking forward to more!
    PS I think this is a small cascade by the side of the road on the way up?......almost by Paradise Lodge. Not 100% sure but it leads into a drainage ditch under the road if my memory serves me correctly.

Robert Amoruso

Ron,

Welcome to the forum.

I downloaded the image and tried both sharpening it and using a local contrast enhancement (BG Copy with USM at 20/50/0) and neither produced the sharpness I was expecting. Softness may be due to tripod movement during exposure. I agree with the comments on the composition and like the flow of the water and the look caused by the slow shutter speed. I second posting the exposure info which is very important with a image like this.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you both for posting. The image was shot at 1/4 sec, f 16, ISO 200, 31 mm. I will try my best to post the location, but
    the person I need to ask is unavailable for about a week. You simply park in a lot just before a bridge and walk across the roadway.
    There it is, tucked to the left, near a big slide of fallen trees to the right.

I made both suggested changes, and I believe they improved the image!
    I have to wait to repost for 24 hours, right?

Robert Amoruso

Ron,

If you make adjustments to an image due to a critique, you just post that image as a Reply to Thread. The 24-hour limit is for a new posting.

Also best not to replace the original post but to leave that one as is and just post the image in the thread as a response. Thanks.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice one Ron. The exposure looks good. The flow of the water and the color of the rocks looks great.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Good blur on the water and nice light. The rocks certainly are red!
    Judy

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Based on the suggestions, for which I am grateful, I cropped from both sides to eliminate some green, and added sharpening.

Roman Kurywczak

Hey Ron,
    I still prefer the OP with just the right side off and I kind of miss the OP's saturation in the repost. I think you get the idea though.....so regardless of the direction you finally settle on.....still an excellent comp and nice luxury to have with the crops!

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Ron, welcome to the forum. Nice first image with a waterflow that is soft and still retains detail. I try and use 1/4sec on flowing water since I prefer that effect.
    I also prefer the OP with the extra room. The small green on the upper right I could take or leave.
    I might suggest in the future when shooting falls you try and leave some space in front of the falls. I like to shoot them tight and with room in front. One can make their preference on the computer...

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Ron -

First off this is a wonderful image! Great shot and great PP. I prefer your original vision and would only add a slight contast layer and/or high pass filter to the foreground to slightly darken and sharpen it. But that is my taste, the image is very nice the way it is.

I also agree with the suggestion to shoot it with more room in the foreground, I would like to see a shot like that for comparison.

JP

Justin Reznick

Hey Ron! This brings back great memories! The name of the falls - "Sunbeam Falls".

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Justin ought to know! It was due to his great tour leadership that we ended up here! Thanks for posting it in response to the inquiry from some posters.