Thread: Wood Sandpiper?

Axel Aire

Default Wood Sandpiper?

I am trying to identify this bird and it seems to be a Wood Sandpiper.
    I took this photo in Massachusetts and according to my bird ID book, Wood Sandpiper are not common here.
    Is this really a Wood Sandpiper?

Last edited by Axel Aire; 08-21-2010 at 11:37 AM.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I'm no shorebird expert but the default ID for the location would be Lesser Yellowlegs, which is a Tringa shorebird, closely related to the Wood Sandpiper. Wood Sandpipers are European and as far as I know only show up in North America as a rare vagrant. A Wood Sandpiper would have a much "scalier" back than this one and a shorter bill. Here's a couple of BPN links to Wood Sandpiper:

http://www.birdphotographers.net/for...wood+sandpiper
    http://www.birdphotographers.net/for...wood+sandpiper

and here's a Lesser Yellowlegs:

http://www.birdphotographers.net/for...read.php?70585

Thanks for posting.

PS- So shorebird experts, do we have a rare bird here or a common one??
    Last edited by John Chardine; 08-21-2010 at 03:08 PM.

Axel Aire

Are not the legs too short for a Lesser Yellowlegs?

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I agree. So what about a Solitary Sandpiper? Another Tringa sandpiper but certainly within range. The plumage does not look dark enough (maybe your exposure has lightened it?) but it has some other Solitary features- leg colour and length, "spectacles", dark shoulder, white spots on back.

Here's some Solitary links:

http://www.birdphotographers.net/for...tary+sandpiper
    http://www.birdphotographers.net/for...tary+sandpiper

Based on the Wood Sandpipers posted on BPN, your bird appears to have a significantly longer bill.

By the way could you send a private message (PM) to Chris Ober and he can change your name to your real name. We use real names here at BPN.
    Last edited by John Chardine; 08-21-2010 at 09:27 PM. Reason: added links and details

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Axel- I checked another field guide I have in the office and it shows the Wood Sandpiper as having a light stripe above the eye and yellowish legs. I am thinking more and more Solitary Sandpiper.

What do others think??

Axel Aire

I agree, Solitary Sandpiper seems to be the closest match.
    Sandpipers are hard to identify, I just took another photos at the same place but this time the bird was smaller:

Last edited by Axel Aire; 08-23-2010 at 05:12 PM.

AlvanBuckley

I think a Wood Sandpiper would be more heavily spotted on the upperside. I would go with Solitary Sandpiper too.
    For the second picture I would say it is a juvenile Least Sandpiper. Yellow legs are a big give away for a Least. Juvenile because the plumage looks very 'crisp' and 'fresh'. Nice pics :)

Axel Aire

On my bird ID book, everything match the Least Sandpiper description except the pattern on the plumage where lighter colors seems to be more of a V-shape.
    Is it because it's a juvenile?

http://gmstudio.smugmug.com

AlvanBuckley

juveniles do have more of a 'scaly pattern' on the back. By "Lighter colors" are you refering to the white lines that go down along the back? The lack of a "V-shape" might be due to the angle the bird is at to the sensor of the camera, and there is always a little bit of variability. No field guide will have a perfect drawing or picture of each bird. You'll just have to use your judgement and experience to figure out what bird you are looking at when looking at a field guide. You can also take a picture and post it here. These forums are a great way to learn and we're happy to help :) especially with shorebirds!

Axel Aire

Thanks.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Axel

You've arrived at the correct ID as your bird is a moulting adult Solitary Sandpiper. The closest European relative is actually the Green Sandpiper which is very similar, but it has a white rump.

You may be interested to know that many claims of Lesser Yellowlegs on this side of the pond turn out to be Wood Sandpiper, but both have distinctive ID features & completely different calls.

Cheers: Wayne

Axel Aire

Hi Wayne,

Are referring to the first or second photo?

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Axel Aire View Post
    Hi Wayne,

Are referring to the first or second photo?
    Hi Axel

I only commented on the 1st image, as several possible species were in the mix & Alvan had already (correctly) pointed you to Least Sandpiper with regards to your 2nd post.

However, as you have specifically asked about the pale mantle 'V', this feature is shown by many juvenile peeps/stints. It is particularly prominent on Little & Long-toed Stint; the latter being the Old World counterpart of the Least Sandpiper. These juveniles are quite variable anyway & some can be very confusing, even to shorebird experts!

Cheers: Wayne

Axel Aire

Thanks