Thread: Ft. DeSoto

Blake Shadle

Default Ft. DeSoto

Anyone made the hike out to Ft. DeSoto lately? I haven't been out in the field in quite some time and I've always loved getting out to Ft. DeSoto.

Any info is appreciated.

Thanks,

Blake

Threads
    Thank You Posts

It's been a couple of weeks or so, but Oystercatcher chicks were active during my last visit. l I also understand that the skimmers are now raising young. I'm just down the road from you. Shoot me an email or PM if you'd care to have some company...love shooting with new people.

Josh O'Donnell

I haven't made it down to Fort DeSoto since my wife and I moved back to Tampa a few months ago... Just a heads up to anyone who might be going this weekend, there's a triathlon Saturday morning at North Beach, and the main road through the park will be closed from around 7:15 until all the competitors finish the bike portion. The only reason I know about this is because I'll be one of the competitors :-)

Blake Shadle

Hey Josh! Good to hear from ya. We should get out a make a few images some time.

Thanks for the heads up on the Triathlon. Those always make things fun.

Josh O'Donnell

This is certainly not a very detailed report, but on Saturday I did see several oystercatchers and a redish egret along the southern portion of North Beach (observed during the run portion of the triathlon). Friday afternoon I also saw about a dozen frigate birds flying around a pond on the west side of the road leading into the park, before you pass through the toll booth.

Van Hilliard

Blake,
    I've seen frigate birds by the dozens in late mornings spiraling over Tierra Verde just south of the draw bridge. I have seen many egrets and herons in the flats before that same bridge right after the turn from the Bayway toward the park. A week ago two young roseate spoonbills spent the entire morning in a puddle at East Beach. Because of problems with my foot, I haven't done my usual trek around North Beach lately so I can't comment on that but I have talked to some others who said things have been fairly active there. The prime places seem to be the same ones we explored the last time we shot there together. I'm about ready to get out there again even if it hurts to walk. It hurts even more psychologically not being out there. How's your family? I saw a photo of the little one recently. My vocabulary fails me when I try to describe how cute he is.
    Van