Thread: Great Spotted Woodpecker

Marijn Heuts

Default Great Spotted Woodpecker

Attached Images Attached Images

My first post at this site!

For a long time, I could not get a decent image of a woodpecker, but lately they have been cooperating very well, to the point where I wished for them to actually leave the site, as other birds stayed away...

Canon 1D mark III with 500/4 from hide

Tim McIntyre

Sweet shot ! Color, comp and B/G all top notched
    Tim

David Hunter

Great first post!!! I like the action with the bird and the composition very much. I'm not sure what I would do to improve it, your BG is clean, angle is great.

Judd Patterson

Marijn, that's a great photograph! Love that you caught the bird in such a nice pose and calling as well! It sure is a beautiful woodpecker species too. I look forward to seeing more of your images.

hugh robateau

Great shot, Marijn! Colors, pose and background are beautiful.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Dude, good to see you here :)
    How was the African trip? I haven't heard about you since you returned.
    Love this image. Very nice. The call is a nice plus.
    Szimi

Alfred Forns

I love this image No nits from my end !!!! Big Congrats !!!

Love the clarity and tonalities !!!

Hillebrand Breuker

Great image, nice perch, lovely light! I can relate to the problem of having just the woodpeckers ;-)

Marijn Heuts

Quote Originally Posted by Gyorgy Szimuly View Post
    Hi Dude, good to see you here :)
    How was the African trip? I haven't heard about you since you returned.
    Love this image. Very nice. The call is a nice plus.
    Szimi
    Hi Szimi, hope you are well! Africa was great as usual, haven't you seen my article in the december issue of NSN?

Axel Hildebrandt

Great image all around. Could you post some techs?

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Wow. Everybody loves this one and so do I. It is pretty much a perfect image. Pefect exposure. Perfect head angle. The peak of action. A great perch. The bird perfectly framed by the background tones. The tail as a brace. Decent my foot; this one is as good as it gets.

later and love, artie

ps: Is the perch a setup? Was the bird coming to a feeder?
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Marijn Heuts

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Morris View Post
    ps: Is the perch a setup? Was the bird coming to a feeder?
    Thanks for the kind words Artie. This was indeed a setup. The perch actually is the feeder, as it is hollow on top and contains suet.

As for the techs: ISO800, F4 and 1/160s with a -1/3 compensation. Yes we have dark weather over here...

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Marijn, Thanks for the info; it is indeed a stunning image. I would like to encourage everyone using tapes, working at feeders, or otherwise baiting or attracting birds to their position to state the basics in their posts. Many beginners see images like this and think that the person making the image was just taking a walk in the woods and got really lucky. Fact is, that most times they are just really smart (and hard-working...)

later and love to all, artei
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Jody Melanson

And a wonderful first post it is, Marijn! Welcome to BPN and am looking forward to more from you.

Maxis Gamez

What a lovely image. The composition works very well.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Well, everything has already been said...just want to add that I also LOVE this photograph!! Well done, congratulations.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Awesome woodpecker image. I love doing setups for these guys with peanut butter or suet. You sure executed this one well.

Jack Rogers

Now that's a problem I'd like to have, too many woodpeckers in the backyard. Somehow you managed to overcome that great difficulty! This couldn't be nicer.

Jack

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Marijn Heuts View Post
    Hi Szimi, hope you are well! Africa was great as usual, haven't you seen my article in the december issue of NSN?
    Looks missed. I check it soon :)

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Morris View Post
    Hi Marijn, Thanks for the info; it is indeed a stunning image. I would like to encourage everyone using tapes, working at feeders, or otherwise baiting or attracting birds to their position to state the basics in their posts. Many beginners see images like this and think that the person making the image was just taking a walk in the woods and got really lucky. Fact is, that most times they are just really smart (and hard-working...)

later and love to all, artei
    I would find this info very helpful, as me being naive thought as Artie said you just happen across these birds.... Really would love to know how people set up etc.......

Jacqui Hendry

It's all been said

Simply Amazing :-)

Jacqui