Thread: not a normal beach image

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default not a normal beach image

Attached Images Attached Images

This beach was protected by a sea defence built from WWII rubble. Bombed houses demolished and dumped. This image forms part of a series I've done on the beach.

Nikon d300 + 50mm 1.8.

Critiques wlecomed.
    regards.
    Stu.

Roman Kurywczak

Hey Stuart,
    I think this is effective as a photojounalistic photo.....but w/o a BG story....not sure it has the weight .....even though I really like the B&W conversion as well as the focal point! I do feel that cropping off the dark grey area/line at the top helps.......and while not a traditional landscape.....I am drawn to the story and I feel the comp is done very well.....so I like it! Maybe I'm just a sucker for old things!

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Stuart, I feel you handled the B&W conversion well showing good detail and contrast. Agree on taking out the grey line on top...not really adding anything to the image.
    Usually a good photojournalistic image has a story that goes with it. In this case I see a remnant of a building but nothing else that adds context to the image. IMO it needs more within the image to convey a story.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for the reply. I understand to a degree about more in the image for the story as out of context it's a bit weak. How would you see it developing? More beach, more rubble?

kind regards.
    Stu.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Stuart,there are unlimited ways to convey a story.Example being a half demolished building in the backround that the piece was apart of.That would convey a relationship. Obviously there are many times when an object can stand by itself due to its beauty,texture,form,interest etc etc. IMO this object needed more....

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the look and the image design. And even though I am a lover of framing strips I would also vote to lose the gray strip at the top. I find myself wishing that the block of bricks did not have the white facing with the lettering on it.... Had the big block been all bricks and mortar I am thinking that the image would not need a story to go with it. But heck, it is what it is. I do like the angle of the block.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Roman Kurywczak

I'm not quite sure Stuart on how you would convey more story....I like Dave's idea.....but imagine it is just rubble and not whole buildings. I do have an idea perhaps.....maybe a current item....even garbage for example.....I might even leave that in color.....to give a contrast between the older and newer..Make sense? As far as balance....I think you have it right as presented.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

This is one other from the series that maybe says more. Love the idea of having something modern for contrast. ****! Will have to go back and have another go, fantastic idea!

D300 + 50mm 1.8

Once again. Big thanks for your help.

regards.
    Stu.

Roman Kurywczak

Hey Stuart,
    I like the repost also and glad yo like the idea! In this case....a sliver more up top! You know you can never make landscapers happy;)!

Fabs Forns

I much prefer the second version, the BG does make a difference.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for the help. Landscape not my usual style but getting to love it.

Thanks again.
    Stu.