Thread: Colorado in the Fall

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Colorado in the Fall

Hi all,

I'm anticipating a trip to CO, most likely this fall. With birds/wildlife in mind, are there any special places and times that one should keep in mind when planning a visit?

Declan

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Declan, what part of Colorado? In the fall, Rocky Mountain Park is a good place to see Elk, deer and some Big horn sheep. Estes Park would be the entrance most likely for you if you come in from Denver. Big Horn Sheep can be seen along I-70 near Georgetown. Mount Evans is good for big horn sheep as well as Mountain goats, ptarmigan, marmots and pika, but you have to check, they usually close the road to the summit after Labor Day. Antelope can be seen in many areas around Denver. Hope that helps some.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hey Tom,

Where, all options are open right now but Denver is the default point of entry. CO is one of those small states (all those lower 48 states are small!) so everything should be in reach. That mention of the road closure seems important so thanks for noting it.

Declan

Banned
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Decla,

Peak fall colors are around the last week of September, with of course the variation with north to south and elevation, and then the year-to-year conditions.

Mt Evans will likely be closed by then (usually right after labor day). Rocky Mountain National park is not great for mountain goats, in my opinion because the park service keeps visitors at least 1/4 mile from any sighting. In the fall, typically October, the elk are close to the road.

You can get an idea of good times and locations by the dates on my images (in the file names) and the info in my Colorado gallery:
    http://www.clarkvision.com/galleries/gallery.colorado/

Roger

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Roger. I had been thinking along the lines of late Sept/early Oct. That seems to jive with your comments although work is closing in around me so I'm not sure I can swing it. Still hoping though.