Thread: Balloon over the Mara

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Balloon over the Mara

Attached Images Attached Images

I don't like the balloons, they make a horribly loud noise which you can hear from miles away, quite intrusive, but on occasion they make nice photographic subjects. This taken in the Mara Reserve, Jan 2010.
    40D; EF70-200mm @100mm; f4; 1/180; ISO400
    It looks like it needs a slight rotation, but I think that is an illusion from the balloon which is moving forward.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice scene and nice colors. I wish the balloon wasn't intersecting the mountain top (wish it was higher), but the similar colors of the balloon and sky make this interesting. Agree that it may need some rotation. TFS.

Roman Kurywczak

Hi Hilary,
    The light is wonderful and the glow on the baloon is a nice bonus too! I like Nick's recommendation of the baloon a bit higher in the frame.....but it may have been moving away from that color.....so that may have played a role in your decision. It may have been that this was close to launch....and the baloon was still rocking.....giving the illusion of out of level......because the ground looks fine.....but see What a CCW rotation will do.....as that is throwing the eye a bit. Might lighten the baloon just a touch.....to give some more seperation.....but all in all, very nicely handled!

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Hilary, I like the basic comp with the glow in the balloon giving it added interest. You did a good job with the techs along with a pleasing sky.
    In a perfect world I would have liked the balloon a bit higher but it's well handled as is...

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Beautiful image. Like the way the colours in the balloon mimic those of the sky.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you for the feedback, appreciated as always. Yes, the balloon had just launched hence the angle and I agree on having the balloon higher. This is the only photo with the flame which gave the nice light in the balloon. All the other frames taken have no flame, sadly. I must have just timed it right by accident but can't remember details now.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Beautiful capture, for all the reasons others have noted. I just had to experiment with moving the balloon (and rotating a bit CCW). Also sharpened the darker trees in the foreground.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

David, you are clever! :) That's a fantastic alteration, thank you for posting it. I'd almost consider entering it into a competition now! :D