Thread: Egret Landing

Lori A. Cash

Default Egret Landing

Attached Images Attached Images

This image was taken on the recent SW FL IPT at Little Estero Lagoon.

Canon 1D3, 100-400mm @ ISO 640, 1/3200, f/5.6 + 1 2/3 exposure compensation

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Lori,
    The wing position, pose, ripple in the water, and light are all elements that really come together here. It would be nice to have a little more foreground for the egret to land into, and, in turn, a little less "sky" at the top. Another thing you might consider is quick masking (a la APTATS) the black stuff in the ripple, which diverts attention from the egret.

Cheers,
    David

Nikolay Staykov - shotlandetsa

David Kennedy's thoughts are spot on. I wish the photo being a little underexposed, as a see someblind spots on the wings. A very high overall mark for this photo.

David Hemmings

Very nice pose captured here Lori. I would prefer a little more room o the left and a little less on the right to balance the comp a bit, still a great shot;)

Alfred Forns

HI Lori,

I know that bird !!!! Great suggestions Fully agree !!! Might try making a layer multiply and back down the opacity I think you should be able to get a little more out of the whites Like it very much !!!

Lori A. Cash

Thanks everyone for your comments and suggestions.
    I will do some quick masking and cropping.
    Alfred, I forgot about that technique with layer multiply and will give that a try.

Thanks,
    Lori

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Jeez, well done. I have virtually the same image from a slightly different angle. (We were feeding the birds.) +1 2/3 was a bit too much once the sun broke through. Overall, I like it. Multiply the whites and then reducing the opacity should help. I love the pose. later and love and thanks again for joining us. artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love that pose.

Maxis Gamez

Hello,

The wings position are excellent, you did very well with the timing. I agree regarding the white but we already told you what to do about it! :)

Lori A. Cash

Oops, the 1 2/3 exposure compensation was actually a typo, and I should have typed +2/3. Nonetheless, I have multiplied the whites and reduced the opacity, and it looks much better.
    You all are great.

Many thanks,
    Lori

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

What a pose! Well captured.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice meeting you last week! Nice pose you caught here and the outspread wings look great. Maybe whites are a tad hot, but otherwise, this is really nice.