Thread: Yellow Warbler

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Yellow Warbler

Attached Images Attached Images

I can think of all kinds of issues here if I were being very critical - e.g. too much foliage left in, yellow on forehead too bright, oof leaf at bottom right, shadow of bill on bird's breast, etc. But I'm still pleased with this image. Does it work for others? Would it be shot down in the Avian Image Critiques Forum? I'm "Eager to Learn"!

Camera Model: NIKON D300
    Lens: 300.0 mm f/4.0 + 1.4 TC, hand-held.
    Image Date: 2010-07-12 06:44:13 -0300
    Focal Length: 420.0mm (35mm equivalent: 630mm)
    Focus Distance: 6.31m
    Aperture: f/5.6
    Exposure Time: 0.0008 s (1/1250)
    ISO equiv: 800
    Exposure Bias: none
    Metering Mode: Matrix
    Exposure: aperture priority (semi-auto)
    White Balance: Auto

Quite a crop, and some NR and curves applied. I added the catchlight in the eyes, as they were totally black in the original. Hope it works.

Richard

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Richard, I don't have much to add to your own critique touching on the main points. Probably a number of issues you brought up would be mentioned in the avian forum. Lighting is everything in photography and your dealing with strong lighting
    that is presenting very bright areas and mottled shade. These elements take away from your center of interest. The birds pose seems OK but it is lacking in fine detail.
    Generally speaking anytime you have a significantly large crop image quality can suffer.

Lance Peters

Hi Richard - agree with Dave - its much easier to critique someone elses photo as you have no emotional attachment to it.

Another thing to remember a critique is never a personal attack - if you dont take anything that is said about a image of yours in that way and keep a open mind - you will learn much :)
    Large crops are always going to hurt you - Try and work out how to get closer - if not a longer lens then some camo gear or a hide that will get you closer to your subject.
    The eye work looks pretty good - good looking bird also :)

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I agree with Lance, so much easier to critique someone else's work because I have no emotional attachment. The lighting strikes me as too bright, and the light in the eyes is not balanced. I'm much more of a realist, so I would not have added those--but I also never thought about that possibility! I think that the cropping did take away some of the natural feel to the scene/bird by softening the edges of the little dude. It is so hard to get these cuties to cooperate, but I actually love the head/pose. Thank you so much for sharing!

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Like the pose and eye contact . Bird looks a little soft probably because of large crop. Little too much foliage which is distracting.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

All good advice offered by Dave, Lance, and Sandra. I would add that if you chose just one thing to improve upon, it would be to get closer. IQ will then greatly improve. This will make you a better photographer because you also have to become a better observer.:)
    My photoblog: juliebrown.aminus3.com

My galleries: julielbrown.smugmug.com

My WordPress blog: indybirdphotographer.com

"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks”.

John Muir