Thread: Bear Beach

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Bear Beach

Attached Images Attached Images

I think of this as more of a landscape than a wildlife shot. Taken near Brooks Lodge, Katmai National Park, Alaska. The bears often stroll down the shore of Naknek Lake to get to the river. I was on my way to try a few landscapes when this one strolled by and continued down the beach.

Canon 50D
    16-35 @ 35mm
    1/1600
    f 6.3
    ISO 640
    HH, CPL used, cropped to remove sign.

C&C welcome and appreciated. Thanks,

Rachel

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Rachel,The balance of the comp is good but I might have added more to the bottom or eliminated it
    Light is everything in photography and in this case the light is very harsh. Using a GND might of helped you to salvage the detail in the clouds and better balance the exposure.

Banned
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Rachel,
    I agree with Dave. If you recorded this as raw, try redoing the conversion with highlight recovery and try and recover the clouds. Or if you have another image with a shorter exposure time. With detail in the clouds, this could be a very nice image. I would have liked the bear approaching the boat. Also, need to bring up the shadows for the bear so it is better seen.

Roger

Roman Kurywczak

Hey Rachel,
    Recognize the area well as I have been there a few times myself! Yes, it's more of a record shot but still excellent advice given above......bringing in detail into the clouds will help this a lot! As the sun was working against you in this image.....I don't mind the shadow side of the bear.....but I'm with Dave on the bleached trunks.....cropping to more of a pnao will help the comp too! Bring those clouds in with Rogers recommendation.....crop it.....those tweaks will make this an even stronger image.