Thread: Tuscan Sun Rose Pair

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Tuscan Sun Rose Pair

Attached Images Attached Images

This is another image of my wife's Tuscan Roses. I like this one due to the young flower contrasted with the full blooming one. Late evening light.

7D with 24-105 @ 84mm. Evaluative metering at ISO 1600 with + 1/3 EV and 1/200 f 6.3 on tripod with live view and 2 sec timer. BG is a mat board. Cropped a bit from the left.

Thanks for looking All C&C most welcome.

Julie Kenward

Ed, that is another gorgeous rose image! I think your exposure and DOF is really lovely here. Two things you might watch for next time...consider trimming a leaf or two so they have their own separation - the ones in the middle get a bit heavy there and a small clip might have left the image feeling fresher and cleaner. Also, because the leaves go further down on the right side, I'd take a bit off the left side and add canvas to the right - just enough to give that longer stem a place to wander into. I think that would strengthen the crop and put those beautiful roses in the best light.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks again Jules for the input. It's kind of funny about these images. Gail and I got home from a meeting with the light failing. She said "the light is good don't you want to try to make some images"?

So there we were in kind of dressy clothes running to get the camera, proper lens, tripod, and a suitable BG before all light was lost and down on our knees photographing the flowers. Our neighbour was walking up the hill and stopped to see what the crazy neighbours were doing! I was able to make about 6 or 7 good images of various blooms before it just got too dark.

As always I greatly appreciate your giving me ways to improve.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Lovely image I can almost feel the texture of the roses. I am guessing the +1/3 also helps minimise noise - did you use any noise reduction? I have gone over the image again baring in mind Jule's comments and they would certainly make a positive difference to a super shot, I will try to remember pointers such as those.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Jonathan, thanks for your comment. Yes, I used Noiseware Pro for NR.

Roman Kurywczak

Hey Ed,
    Sweet light! I do like the contrast of the bud and bloom.....great advice given by Jules. If you don't want to add canvas or are against such things....a crop off left and slightly off top will also work. I agree with her on the central part....especially if you had the time....but the leaves flow nicely and because the blooms are so strong....really doesn't hurt the overall image. Very nicely done!

Forum Participant OvidiuCavasdan's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice contrasting colors, sharpness and beautiful BG. Agree about the middle leaf.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Lovely image. The roses stand our beautifully against the duller color of the BG. Beautiful, soft light. Wonderful roses.