Thank You Posts

Default Water Lily in Rain

Attached Images Attached Images

Nikon D3s

ISO 800

1/160 sec @f/16

Comments welcome..........

Julie Kenward

Okay, Jay, I stared long and I stared hard and I can't think of a single thing I'd change about this one. :D It has a very dramatic mood, a beautiful composition and crop, and wonderful sharpness. Print it and hang it on a wall, buddy!

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Jay, I agree with Jules, this is super. What is the name of this Water Lilly?

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Jules and Ed

Thank you. I don't know the name of the lily, but next time at the botanical gradens I'll try and find it and the name.
    Jay

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

It's lovely, Jay. I think I might like the center and top of the flower on the left a little brighter but it's great as is.

Roman Kurywczak

Hey Jay,
    Interesting how you chose to cut the flowers where you did.....it actually forms a nice diagonal flow to the whole image. I do think Ken may be on to something...with a little lightening of the flower upper part....but a very minor tweak to an excellent and unusual comp.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Roman and Ken,

Thanks for the feedback.....I will l lighten a bit., and see what the does.

Jay

dawn campbell

I would agree that it's a very nice shot, but I also think it looks a tad dark, and I think if you pumped it up a bit it would leap off the page more. Nicely framed.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks, I will lighten and see...................I was taken during a thunderstorm and I wanted to preserve some "drama", if that makes sense. Jay

dawn campbell

totally makes sense, and I'm not adverse to keeping an image a bit below the "perfect" histogram readings... but I think this could have more drama. Actually thinking on it, and I'm not sure what you use to post-process, but you might want to consider pumping up the centers and using a circular graduated mask to bleed down into the purples. Would make the lighting a bit less flat--I think that is what I'm reacting too. Given the rain, the lighting ended up quite flat, so maybe add a bit more punch by varying it slightly (subtle effect) ??

I'm not from the same sort of background as most of you--I do mostly studio shots and I'm a graphic designer so I'm used to (by demand of art directors) changing the throw of the light in post. I'm not sure what the collective feeling here is on changing aspects like this? I actually think taking shots in the field is harder, much harder.

And this is perhaps not the appropriate place, but I did look around. Is the etiquette here to thank everyone individually? I've been a mod for a large group and we encourage people to send one thank you message at the end of a thread to everyone so as to avoid the board being inundated with thank yous. If someone could just clue me in, I would appreciate it.

Forum Participant OvidiuCavasdan's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice colors and composition, very well executed. Superb image!

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Dawn.............I tried some light/contrast gradient effect on the image. According to my eyes you are spot on! This type of adjustment is OK with me.

Your experience in the studio provides a different view. Quite valuable IMO.

I for one, will resist individual replies and do thread feedback after most responses are received.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Excellent image. Love the tight crop. Beautiful colors, sharpness, composition. Others have made good suggestions re. brightness. There is a little something dark to the right of the lower flower center that I would clone out. Great image!!!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dawn campbell View Post
    I'm not from the same sort of background as most of you--I do mostly studio shots and I'm a graphic designer so I'm used to (by demand of art directors) changing the throw of the light in post. I'm not sure what the collective feeling here is on changing aspects like this? I actually think taking shots in the field is harder, much harder.

And this is perhaps not the appropriate place, but I did look around. Is the etiquette here to thank everyone individually? I've been a mod for a large group and we encourage people to send one thank you message at the end of a thread to everyone so as to avoid the board being inundated with thank yous. If someone could just clue me in, I would appreciate it.
    Dawn: Shooting in the field is generally harder, in my opinion, but also easier in that it provides opportunities for lovely color blurs, etc.
    As to thanking people, I don't know what the rule of thumb is on this list, but most people thank at the end, or not at all--as we all know comments are appreciated.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Jay,

Superior imagery here on all accounts. Really like the color contrast and sharpness here. Thanks for sharing...