Canon EOS REBEL T1i
    Canon 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS @ 310mm
    Av mode
    1/500"
    F11
    ISO:400
    LR & CS3
    HH

Repaired 3 missing chunks from the wing edges. Cloned out a bunch of spots on the flower petals. Blurred and and darkened a few light areas in the BG. Added a light vignette, just to try something different. Brightened and sharpened the eye (which is something I do on just about every butterfly shot I post here).

As long as they're around, I'll keep shooting them. :)

dawn campbell

Hi Ken, this is another very well executed shot. The 100-400 is serving you well in this. Is that what most folks are using for bugs/insects? That's one lens I would like to have. I've got the 300mm f/4 with the 1.4x TC which does a decent job, but for something like this, I prefer to have a zoom rather than a prime to provide more flexibility in your movements (or lack thereof).

I see from your sig line you work at the Finish Flag Farms. I took a peak at the site to see what that was, and what a great idea to provide a place for retired show horses, etc. I also noticed there are quite a large number of images of the flora and fauna there--are those mostly yours or are others involved? Hopefully not too many questions--just trying to get a feel for who is who.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Lovely! Seems silly using the 100-400 as a macro lens but they are so useful. Have you tried an small extension tube? It works really well. Nice PP job too.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dawn campbell View Post
    Hi Ken, this is another very well executed shot. The 100-400 is serving you well in this. Is that what most folks are using for bugs/insects? That's one lens I would like to have. I've got the 300mm f/4 with the 1.4x TC which does a decent job, but for something like this, I prefer to have a zoom rather than a prime to provide more flexibility in your movements (or lack thereof).

I see from your sig line you work at the Finish Flag Farms. I took a peak at the site to see what that was, and what a great idea to provide a place for retired show horses, etc. I also noticed there are quite a large number of images of the flora and fauna there--are those mostly yours or are others involved? Hopefully not too many questions--just trying to get a feel for who is who.
    I use the 100-400 when I'm dealing with wary subjects since they won't usually let me get close enough to use my 100mm macro.

The flora/fauna pics are all mine. Other than the random page, all of those shots were taken on or within sight of my property.

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Driscoll View Post
    Lovely! Seems silly using the 100-400 as a macro lens but they are so useful. Have you tried an small extension tube? It works really well. Nice PP job too.
    I have a 1.4x tc I'll use if I want more magnification but I rarely need it.

Julie Kenward

Another beautiful butterfly image, Ken! You've really got them eating out of the palm of your hands at this point. You might try softening the ULC a bit; other than that, wow!

Forum Participant OvidiuCavasdan's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice BF, like the comp, dof and sharpness. Well done!

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Technically very good, and I like the shot very much, the exposure and colours are excellent............I know you don't agree with me but I would suggest it is too big in the frame:D

Roman Kurywczak

Hey Ken,
    Ohter than a bit of BG smoothing for my tastes.....this is really well handled! Light is just perfect and you got one killer specimen! Great job!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Lovely image Ken...nice post processing work.