taken at Bombay Hook Wildlife refuge at a pond
    Nikon D-300
    1/500 at f10
    ISO800
    500 mm lense
    Windy conditions
    Comments welcome!

dawn campbell

Lovely detail and color in the irises. How did you go about the black background, since you shot this outdoors in situ I presume? thanks!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

HI Dawn....water in background was in shadow...also some darkening in PS

Julie Kenward

You got the image I tried to get earlier in the season, Bob. In my case, there were just too many clumped together to get any real definition. You did a lovely job here. Only thing I'd suggest taking another look at would be to clone out the smaller grass stalk on the right as it feels rather crowded right at that point and I think you could remove it without much trouble if you chose to do so.

Roman Kurywczak

Hey Bob,
    I like the light and dark here....but for me, one too many iris's. The 2nd one from the right....while beautiful on it's own.....just too tall for the overall comp. I also like the cetral one with the 1 blade of grass on left....you can possibly eliminate the grass and 1 Iris if you are OK with such things.....much better in the field, but not sure if that was possible for you.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The colors against the black BG work for me. The long lens gives the image a flat look that I like. The combination of grasses with Iris is unusual, but of course, that is how they grow, and I like it. I'm slightly bothered by the dying flowers--always a problem with Iris. Nice image.