Thread: "Fresh" Lion

Ken Watkins

Default "Fresh" Lion

Attached Images Attached Images

We had heard rumours of a Lion Pride with 8 cubs in the Ngweshla area of Hwange NP, for several days, but we found nobody who had actualy seen them. One morning after our Cheetah sighting we met somebody who had just seen them on the main road theyt had gone off into the bush just 10 minutes before we arrived, they were more than happy to show us their images and video.
    The following evening we saw tham returning in useless light, we got up extra early thenext morning and found the whole pride at the main waterhole, but we had virtually no light. They moved off and we went to the back road where we hoped they may cross. In fact they walked down the road and the sun came out.
    Here is an image of one of the two youngest. I had no more room at the bottom because of the vehicles windscreen. No standing up with Lions about!

EOS 1D MkIV

500mm F4 IS hand held

F9, ISO 800, 1/640 (no ideas as to why F9)

Threads
    Thank You Posts

the light here is sweet Ken, and the details and pose of the cub are priceless.
    since you had no space at the bottom I would slice some off the top to balance the comp
    Morkel Erasmus

WEBSITE

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

You caught this little lion very nicely Ken, love the raised paw and intent expression on the cub.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Cute one. I like the pose. Lovely. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
    Sabyasachi

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Yikes Steve, the colour shift is dramatic and not for the better!!! :confused:

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Steve, I see that you have set the desaturate monitor by 20%, wouldn't that account for the increase in saturation on this image? You wouldn't see it on your monitor as it has automatically decreased it by the 20%.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hilary, as no colour adjustment was done and the colour settings do not affect the image, it is strange that there is a colour shift. Just downloaded Kens image to the DT, added a bit more FG, re cropped to a smaller size?

Confused too.
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hilary, are you viewing it on a 'calibrated' monitor? If so, can you drag Ken's OP onto your DT and then open it up in PS and view. It does look quite red compared to the OP.

I would agree that when uploaded to the Forum it has increased the colour quite a bit in terms of 'warmth' and does not match to his OP, but is faithful to Ken's OP when viewed in PS.
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    Hilary, are you viewing it on a 'calibrated' monitor? If so, can you drag Ken's OP onto your DT and then open it up in PS and view. It does look quite red compared to the OP.

I would agree that when uploaded to the Forum it has increased the colour quite a bit in terms of 'warmth' and does not match to his OP, but is faithful to Ken's OP when viewed in PS.
    I'm calibrated, so give me a minute and I'll repost.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Holy cow , what a cute cub this is , Ken , I liked this image very much as posted and loving this TFS

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

OK, it comes up as not having an embedded profile and shows up as very saturated in my photoshop. So I've done nothing but resaved it onto my DT and posted it here.

Ken Watkins

I am afraid this is all a bit too technical for me, can anybody explain in English? Looking at the response count I was hoping for more than a colour discussion:(

Harshad and Sabyaschi

Thanks for your kind comments
    Last edited by Ken Watkins; 07-15-2010 at 03:17 PM.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Steve , Don't know what is happening on your machine but re post is way over saturated , this is just for example , I have cropped very but I don't see any color shift , I am on calibrated monitor , 23 inch , JFYI same thing happened in yesterdays tiger re-post

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Yes , After reloading I am seeing exactly same colors as posted by Ken in OP

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Sorry Ken, I did post a comment early on about the image itself which I really like.

But it is interesting to find out why a colour shift, or lack of sharpness may appear when posting as it effects what we see when we are trying to comment. Wasn't trying to hijack your thread.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great golden light here Ken (on OP) with nice head on view, raised paw and inquisitive look really enhancing.
    TFS

Alfred Forns

Most of the problems we have with color have to do with profiles and browsers IE seems to be the worst for managing colors, have had some threads/discussions

The image looks good as presented crop wise, sort of like the extra little room around the little guy but is just personal taste. Color wise would tone down slight as presented since it appears over warmed in my monitor and again is just a personal thing, no right or wrong just perception ................ the image is mighty fine any way you look at it and would love to have it in my files !!! Big Congrats Ken !!

... btw are you using IE now or did you change?

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nothing else but gorgeous. Such sweet light.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Ken.... bet you get a big AAHH... with this image, very sweet.... glad you didnr stand as the angle wud not have as good as this...

well done

sure you have plenty more images to share... cant wait

peter

DanWalters

Great light and I like the intense stare! Beautiful image!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Cute little thing. I like the pose you got. I like Harshad's vertical crop.