Thread: Blue on Blue

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Blue on Blue

Attached Images Attached Images

Photographed late last year at Port Lincoln, nothing between me and Antarctica. Great White Shark country, but beautiful seas.
    30D; EF24-85mm @ 75mm;ISO 400; 1/500; f8

Does this sort of landscape work? No point of interest per se, just layers of blue with the breaking waves. Interested in your thoughts. Of course a shark, dolphin or whale would have been an advantage. :)

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Is this South Africa? I broke my back in these seas if so, but avoided the great whites. Great set of blues!

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

South Australia.

Did you really break your back? Are you ok now? :confused:

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Yep I did and yep I'm fine now, just a freak wave while out looking for whales. Should've hung onto the boat rather than my camera :D

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Hilary, As I look at your picture I seem to want something more in the picture - but can not make up my mind. What about a picture of "Waves" by cropping the sky out and increasing the depth of the picture. Just some thoughts, I tried to make this a picture for me, not change your picture by adding something I thought up. I think that this picture has merit and would welcome a chance to shoot it in variations.

Rob.....................

Hilary, check out the post in this forum that just preceded yours "Corn Fields." Although the shot is with a different lens - it gives the feeling that I was trying to explain.
    Last edited by Rob Miner; 07-14-2010 at 11:23 AM.

Roman Kurywczak

Hi Hilary,
    Yes, I think it can work....but more of an abstact or seascape lacking the strong focal point. I do have a few suggestions......are the whites blown in your original raw? If not, go back in and bring out as much depth as you can in the waves/foam.....this will just help the overall appeal. I do think you should crop off the top (1/2 to 2/3).....the clouds on frame edge take away a bit from the blue on blue presentation....even though they mimic the waves.....being so close to the edge I feel they detract. I think tweaking this will help make this a keeper!

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Rob & Roman, good suggestions which mirror my feelings about the image. Gives me ideas for when I can reshoot. I fins the abstract landscapes harder to succeed at. :)

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

HI Hilary.....I agree with Roman's suggestions to crop and try to bring down the whites! Looking forward to your next post!:)