Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro
    Manual mode
    1/250"
    F14
    ISO:200
    Canon 430EX w/bounce card: On, Fired
    LR & CS3
    HH

Removed some flowers from the very bottom. Repaired a missing chunk from the edge of the wing.

Should I clone out the 1 water drop or leave it in?

Roman Kurywczak

Hey Ken,
    I know that black/dark bg's aren't everyones cup of tea but I do feel it makes the little yelllow guy really stand out. I'm OK with the presentation but would definitely prefer this more of a horizontal presentation....taking off 2/3 of the stem. I just happen to like those bold....in your face comps....but it does work as presented also. Only other recommendation to try....lesses the brightness on just the wings a few points......may lessen the impact of the flash and make it appear a bit more natural. It is a fine line I often struggle with too!
    Overall, I think you composed this very nicely!

Julie Kenward

I can see why Roman would like this as a horizontal comp but I like the long stem on this plant because it matches the color of the butterfly so well and every bit of it is in focus. Excellent tilt of the plant and butterfly - I love how the antenna are heading towards the ULC while the wings move your eye to the URC. Very nice DOF and lovely recovery of the wing.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Ken, I am jealous of this shot! I just have not managed to get a really good shot of this small butterfly. Love the black background and the crop as is works for me. Might try toning down the brightness of the wings as Roman suggested - I'm not sure the true butterfly is that bright.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Allen Sparks View Post
    Ken, I am jealous of this shot! I just have not managed to get a really good shot of this small butterfly. Love the black background and the crop as is works for me. Might try toning down the brightness of the wings as Roman suggested - I'm not sure the true butterfly is that bright.
    The only reason I got this was that it was early and the butterfly wasn't very active yet. I scared it up from the grass and it landed on the fennel. Males can easily be this bright but I can see that even though this is pretty close to reality, it does look a bit bright.

Allen, you need to get up here again and soon. You could have stood in one spot today and had chances at 25 different butterfly species!

Here's a different crop with the brightness slightly reduced.

No comments on the water drop?

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Yes, I like the water drop...forgot to mention it earlier. I'll try to get up there again before too long -- will drop you an email on that.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Ken....Love the black bg with the yellow bfly> Nicely sharp ....I would leave the droplet! The color does look just a tad too bright to me.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the original post. The black bg works well with the yellow. I like the composition and the touch of red. Nicely done!
    I appreciate your responses to my various questions. I have another question: why do you have so many butterflies?

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Anita Bower View Post
    I have another question: why do you have so many butterflies?
    The heat and humidity creates a perfect climate for butterflies and the plants they feed on. Also, many species fly all year long just south of here so when spring arrives, they don't have far to go to get to the mid south.

Besides living in the right area, I plant mainly to attract butterflies and other insects. I have petunias, marigolds, zinnias, cosmos, coneflowers, lilacs, lantana, sage, salvia, butterfly bushes, assorted herbs and probably a few others that I can't think of right now.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Childs View Post
    The heat and humidity creates a perfect climate for butterflies and the plants they feed on. Also, many species fly all year long just south of here so when spring arrives, they don't have far to go to get to the mid south.

Besides living in the right area, I plant mainly to attract butterflies and other insects. I have petunias, marigolds, zinnias, cosmos, coneflowers, lilacs, lantana, sage, salvia, butterfly bushes, assorted herbs and probably a few others that I can't think of right now.
    THANKS!

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the shot and the exposure, absolutely spot on. I prefer the second image but I would make it a little less tight in the frame. The black background is entirely a personal choice, for me it looks like it was taken at midnight and I don't see too many butterflies at midnight - sorry!;)