Thread: Great Blue Heron portrait

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Great Blue Heron portrait

While crouched in the bushes photographing a Neotropic Cormorant at the Gilbert Water Ranch, this Great Blue Heron landed in the tree right next to my shooting location. Managed to get turned around for a nice portrait.

Nikon D2x, 300mm f/4 AF-S, TC-14E, F/8 @ 1/800, ISO 250, manual exposure. Full frame image, no cropping.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nathan:

This one really demonstrates their amazing neck. The shooting angle works to strengthen that effect.
    Sharp, well exposed,good DOF. Light a bit harsh, and if it had been possible, a touch of fill flash to even out the shadows might have worked. The shadows do however serve to emphasize the 3D effect.

Cheers

Randy

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nathan - you certainly took advantage of a tremendous opportunity when it presented itself. Well done! Yes, the lighting is a bit harsh and a fill light might have been a nice addition. But I am sure in your position you were lucky to be able to make this very nice image that emphasizes the anatomical features of the Great Blue's neck.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I agree with the harsh light and fill-flash option (especially for under the chin), but otherwise a striking image. I like the curl of the head plume imitating the curl of the neck. I'd probably selectively saturate the yellows of the bill a bit.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love that shooting angle and the sharp details in the subject. Nice work!

If you shot raw, you could open the shadows up with the Fill slider in ACR. I used S/H
    instead. Just a personal preference, but I think a lighter background sets the subject
    off a little better.

Name:  gbhport.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  124.6 KB