Thread: baby jumper

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default baby jumper

These little guys are tough to spot. I will take a small twig and tickle the surface and look for movement.This jumper came running and actually jumped on the camera.
    Nikon d300
    105 macro 2.8
    sb800 strobe
    f22
    1/250sec
    HH

Roman Kurywczak

Hey Daniel,
    Besides a crop from bottom and right.....this works for me! Pse and light is very strong....even the black BG sets off the spider nicely although next time you can try bumping up the ISO and dropping a bit of the SS....to 1/125 and see if you can get more ambient light on it.....just for your own comparison. I like this as presented....feels like he crawled out of the dark to get you!!!

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default baby jumper

Thanks Roman! I will give 1/125 a try and boost the iso to 400. I have been using 1/250 because most shots I make are hand held since these spiders don't hold still and I get shakey.I want to buy a 180mm macro lens. Any suggestions?

Roman Kurywczak

Remember Daniel.....you may not want the BG stuff to show up!!! This will just helps you tweak the image in camera.....decide what you prefer when you get home!!

I use the 180mm Sigma macro (for Canon) and i love it! It gives a better shooting angle for flash use beccause you are further away and it allows you to stay further away and not spook certain critters. Heavier than a 100...yes, but the only real place I liked my 90mm tamron more was at an aquarium....through glass. Since I don't do much shooting there......and my friend son needed a macro.....I sold it to him for dirt cheap. I find tthe quality of the lens is equal to the Canon 180mm but not the finish. Since I won't be entering any photo equipment beauty pageants any time soon:D....i went for $$$ saving (almost 1/2 price) and chose the Sigma without any regrets now 7 years later. Yes the finish is peeling a bit......but I'm not sure the canon would take the abuse I give either! I know they make it in a nikon version.....I highly recommend the Sigma lens!

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks so much ! Your advice has always been right on the mark and your participation on this forum is invaluable in my opinion.

Julie Kenward

Daniel, besides the crop, I LOVE this! I've never tried to 'tickle the leaves' but am going to use this next time I go out! I also love how the color of the spider and the FG/BG are so close - it gives a real feeling of camoflage to the image.