Thread: sedum

Forum Participant Valerio Tarone's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default sedum

Attached Images Attached Images

I had tried to manage a balance between dof and focus.
    70mm macro ....I suppose:ISO 200 f5,6 1/500 EV-0,5 WB auto aperture pr. flash off. full sunshine a subtle handkerchief to protect.
    Comments wellcome

Roman Kurywczak

Hey Valerio,
    I like the concept of this.....but it lacks a bit of critical sharpness in any spot. I want something a bit more sharp.....so as I look at your settings, I don't think it was the SS but I don't think it was the DOF either.....because at f5.6.....the blooms should be at least sharp with nice falloff to the BG. If I was to guess.....I think you missed the focus plane. Hope this makes sense.

Julie Kenward

I agree with Roman in that there is just a lack of sharpness on the focal plane but...for me, it's the gray BG that really leaves me wanting something different. Maybe flash would help? Maybe more sun coming through? Not sure what your situation was here but I do like that you're looking at this three-dimensionally. I think if you go back and try it again with different light or possibly the use of fill flash to keep the dark areas from going so gray it might be a really interesting print!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Sedums can be fun to photograph with a macro lens. My suggestion would be to take the photograph on an overcast day or with the flower in the shade. That will avoid the harsh light. You might try to get closer, filling the frame with fewer but larger little blooms. If you have live view on your camera, that will be a big help in focusing just right. I look forward to seeing more of your images.

Forum Participant Valerio Tarone's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks to all. Yes useful, I think the Anita's tip: now I'll tried to photo similar tiny flowers in the shadow. Anita, I've a plenty of flowers images! And I like to try original captures.