Thread: Reducing Contrast with Inverse Cuves

Fabs Forns

Default Reducing Contrast with Inverse Cuves

Attached Images Attached Images

Sometimes we make images where light is less than ideal, be it too strong or in the wrong angle. When images are too high in contrast, you can improve them a little bit by using the Curves tool in the opposite direction. It's called inverting the curve and here is one example:

Glenn Ehmke

Well done pointing this technique our Fabs, much under-used I think. Ive used this technique a number of times, and I find it can also be good in harsh light situations when highlights are blown.

Julie Kenward

I think I've inadvertently used this before but didn't know what it was I was doing or why! Now I understand what it can really do by dragging that curve the other way. Thanks so much, Fabs!

Robert Amoruso

Reverse S-Curve. I use it all the time. You can go further up on the curve an pull the higher mid-tones down as well dependent upon the image.

Sometimes the image will get a little flat. May sound stupid since there is already too much contrast. I won't tweak the curve around once I like how the highlights have reduced and shadows opened up. So I will create a selective color adjustment and add black to the black and neutral channels. This increases inherent contrast w/o actually affecting the curve adjustment.
    Last edited by Robert Amoruso; 05-15-2008 at 12:46 PM.