Thread: Varied Thrush (Ixoreus naevius)

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Varied Thrush (Ixoreus naevius)

Attached Images Attached Images

Well I figured I would start my first post here with my favourite of all bird species, the Varied Thrush. I do not believe I have posted this particular image of this bird at any forum before. This was created at a friends place 5 hours north of me, where he had a few birds coming to his feeding station in the middle of winter 2006/2007. I had always dreamed of an image of this species on one of our west coast rain forest mossy branches, so I took my own perch up there with me. We setup the perch running from a nearby bush, banking down towards the feeder they liked to use. They are a fairly secretive and unpredictable species, so we had no idea how much success we would have. After a whole day in the blind, I only manged about 6 photos of the male on my chosen perch, but was very happy with the few shots I came home with :)

D200
    Nikkor 300 f4 afs
    ISO 200
    1/160 sec
    f/5.6
    -0.3 EV
    one SB-800 and two SB-600 used for fill and set on manual wireless remote
    shot from blind
    no tapes or calls used, but image created at feeding station
    about 95% full frame
    Last edited by Arthur Morris; 01-03-2008 at 06:47 PM.

Judd Patterson

Tim, your Varied Thrush photographs have always impressed me. This one is no exception and is expertly crafted with wonderful use of flash. If it weren't for my May `07 trip to the Pacific Northwest I wouldn't have believed that branches could be naturally covered with that much moss. :) I also really appreciate all the details that you have given us so that we can all learn. I've never owned multiple flash units to try your technique, but it sure looks nice. The details in the dark feathers are particularly nice.

Well done and welcome!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

A really lovely shot Tim, well worth the wait IMO.

Fabs Forns

Big welcome, Tim

I'm glad our on-line paths cross once again :)

Worth the wait, great colors and light, a treat to the eyes.

Looking forward to more :)

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Awesome image buddy. I hope to get up to Martin's this winter myself. This one has all the elements :)
    Last edited by Arthur Morris; 01-03-2008 at 06:48 PM.

Judy Lynn Malloch

Stunning !!! Tim this is an outstanding image with a killer BG. Love the pose and perch and all the extras such as the wonderful moss on the branch, Really love this one Tim and i too appreciate all the info and techs you post.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Judy Lynn Malloch View Post
    Stunning !!! Tim this is an outstanding image with a killer BG. Love the pose and perch and all the extras such as the wonderful moss on the branch, Really love this one Tim and i too appreciate all the info and techs you post.
    Thanks Judy. I positioned (and repositioned) my blind specifically for this BG ;)

David Hemmings

All I can say is wow! A fantastic shot Tim:eek:

Alfred Forns

Red Carpet Welcome Tim !!!!!!!

Love everything about that image I'm glad your work paid off !!!! Big Congrats !!!!!!

hugh robateau

Outstanding shot, Tim!!!

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Not every ppl has this kind of vocation. It was worth to wait. The details on the bird is fantastic. The perch is not my style but maybe identical with the bird's original habitat what I don't know.
    Good to see you here too. ;)
    Szimi

Axel Hildebrandt

Hey Tim, good to see you here. I like the image a lot, great flash work. If anything I would wish for a bit wider DOF, but that is nitpicking. :)

Jody Melanson

Good to see you here, Tim! Tremendous image in all respects, no nits from me other than I wish it were mine. :D

DanWalters

Great colors and background. Really like the perch.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

NIce to see you here Tim. I think that you will find it a very friendly place. The image is spectacular, by far the best Varied Thrush image ever (unless you are holding out on us...) The perch is amazing; I love that the feet have disappeared into the plush green carpeting... The head-and body-angles are superb as it the exposure, the composition, the background, and the feather detail. later and love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Stunning Tim!!!!