Thread: Cheyenne Bottoms, KS Spring Shorebird Photography

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Cheyenne Bottoms, KS Spring Shorebird Photography

If anyone knows anything about photographing northbound migrant shorebirds at Cheyenne Bottoms, KS, I would appreciate learning the basics as far as dates and locations :) I am trying to piggy-back with a speaking engagement in Kansas City. Not sure which KC? Or if that matters. Will find out.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

robert hazelwood

Artie
    Quite a trip from KC to Greatbend unless you take a commuter airline. About 4 hours to Great Bend by car. If you go there you would also need to go see Quivira NWR to the southeast of Great Bend. Its been so long since I have been out there I can't give you specifics.

However if you are in KC you might want to look into Squaw Creek NWR NW of KC or Swan Lake NWR to the NE. Both of these are in the Mississippi flyway and have heavy populations of migrating birds. They are both much closer. I am hoping to get to Squaw Creek this fall.

Good luck
    Bob Hazelwood

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Bob. I doubt that I will make it there this year....
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

ChasMcRae

Hi Art,
    I have shot Cheyenne Bottoms and Quivara mostly in Spring or June, and once in the Fall. I think you would love these sites.
    Great road access in Quivara and my best shooting at Cheyenne Bottoms was when the water level was low concentrating the birds. One time water was high and much tougher and not very productive .
    Local birders and photographers could clue you in before a trip.
    Campers can find very cheap hookups and sewage dump at city campground in Stafford,Kansas.

Perhaps next year
    Chas.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Chas. Too busy this spring :) Maybe next year.