Thread: Black darter`

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Black darter`

I went out this morning at 5.30 to photograph some dragonflies. I know a place where are so many of them. Took a lot of pictures. I like to hear your comments en critiques.

Sigma 150mm, tripod, wired remote, mirror lock-up, iso 400

1/60e, f8

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Superb this, like the soft light - no spectral highlights on the eyes. I have only photographed fully
    black ones of this species, i prefer them like this one.
    I feel the composition could be better, but not sure how I would improve that, maybe make it portrait
    taking some off both sides.

Tim

Julie Kenward

Thijs, you've got a really nice, detailed body and face here but the wing position could be stronger IMO. A shift to the left would have put them less at a right angle to your camera's focal plane, allowing a softer transition when viewing the image and adding a little more sharpness to the eye.

I'd pull down the greens in saturation so they aren't so overpowering in the two top corners - it would be nice to see them closer to the rest of the BG. Nice diagonal perch and a very nice image overall.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

This is a good ID image..shows DF coloration, eye color, sharpnes..do wish the wings were at a different angle...well done..

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thijs, everything but the wings looks great. It's tough to get a good looking shot when the wings are pointed directly at you, especially if the wings block part of the body. As Jules said, a small step to the left might have worked better or maybe a large step to the right. You said you took a lot of pictures so maybe you already have some like we've suggested.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice D'Fly. I'd crop it vertical and it'd been nice if you'd gotten the wings extended.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Amazing color and sharpness! Gongrats!

Roman Kurywczak

Hey Thijs,
    Well.....most of my recommendations have been covered.....light is outstanding!!!.....body color and eye sharpness excellent....BG is VG......but the wing position is what is hurting you......IMO even if you took the small step to the left at f8.....you still wouldn't have the necessary DOF to get the front wing sharp without ruining the BG.......so only option was to wait for the correct wing fold. Not always possible.....and that doesn't mean this image isn't VG.......correct wing position and angle......would put this over the top!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for all the comments! It's so hard with those wings! But I will go there some more times, so I can try to do it better!

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I don't see how the wings would ever be sharp in a side view like this, so the wings don't bother me. I would go for a vertical composition.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Excellent shot, the eye looks perfect. I may consider rotating anticlockwise and making a portrait image.