Thread: Incoming Hawker

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Incoming Hawker

Hi,
    Here's another from last year, migrant hawkers ideal for flight photos.

Tim Munsey
    D300s, 300mm with 1.7TC, 1/250th at F/13, ISO 220, flash

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

face is sharp, nice capture. If you used a faster shutter speed could you have frozen the wings?

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

WOW! What a great in-flight catch! This is amazing to me. Incredible sharpness right where it needs to be - awesome for an in flight shot. I assume you were going for DOF over shutter speed - I like the wing blur but a faster shutter speed probably would have worked too for a different affect. Nice!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Why freeze the wings? I prefer the feeling of motion.

Thanks for commenting

Tim

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Wow, very nice! I tried it yesterday, it's pretty hard!

Julie Kenward

I agree with you, Tim. I love the sense of motion here. I think it's much harder to have the head frozen and perfectly sharp while maintaining the sense of movement so kudos to you!

I can't tell if there's some noise in the BG (or if my monitor screen is very dirty) but you might run some NR on the BG. Awesome image overall. Was this a big crop?

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Julie, thanks for commenting. Not much of a crop, I put the noise down to lazy processing, guess I should apply
    a bit of noise reduction before uploading onto website, the D300s also is no D3 when it comes to noise. One day I hope Nikon will bring out a low megapixel 1.5x crop camera with noise characteristics of the D3/D3s, yummy!

Tim

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Tim, I've tried to get one of these..I know how tough it is..very well done...

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

This is fantastic, Tim!
    I think the blur of the wings is close to perfection. There's motion there but also enough detail comes through to please us stop motion geeks. :)

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I particularly like seeing the body through the transparent wing. Very nice and the noise looks minimal to me.

Roman Kurywczak

Hey Tim,
    Interesting obsevations above.....Is the ISO a typo?...my guess is ISO 200....not 1250......so noise can only be from large crop.....still and easy fix.
    I have only one thing to say to those that want frozen wings......think about it......having done this myself.....if you freeze the motion 100%....it will look static....like you had pasted it there! This is just the right amount of wing motion for me.....to give the sense of flight! Excellent job all around!

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Tim, remarkable image! The lighting is just right and the front body of the insect is very sharp. The blurred wings show a sense of motion which adds to the image. The backround compliments the subject. If your inclined to I might add a bit of canvas left and right...

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Tim.....I am amazed...I shoot dflies and know how hard this is...How did you do it? Want to share your technique for getting such an amazing image and sooo- sharp where it needs to be! Wow!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The secrets in the species, this particular one likes to hover for periods of up to ten seconds, so still a challenge but by no means impossible.

Tim

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Tim - congratulation - a superb image I am very impressed, I love the composition and the colours. I too have been after this species but I have never come up with something so good as this. Sometimes I run the Burn tool set to Shadows and run it over the wings to make the veins a little darker - you may wish to consider this (?):)

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Jon, I like the idea of darkening the veins, I will explore, not sure how selective the burn tool will be maybe some selective contrast will work.

Tim